Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to prevent static from building up on me

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    I've recently been developing a lot of static electricity and it's very annoying as I get shocked when i touch metal objects or other people. This isn't like it happens every time I touch something though.

It just happens after I take off my jacket for example. So then I have to find some metal object to touch to discharge because I'm scared about touching my laptop.

So is there a way to not build up static after taking my jacket off? I think it's because my jacket is fluffy inside?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Several steps you can take..

Avoid man made fibres in your clothes (eg wear cotton rather than polyester shirts).
    Use a fabric conditioner when you wash them.
    Put Fabric Softener Sheets in the tumble dryer.
    Avoid rubber soled shoes.
    Turn down the air co and turn up the humidifier.

4. Feb 3, 2017 #3
    Also, pro tip: If you know you will discharge and are dreading it, there's two things you can do:

- Grab your keys and discharge through those. No shock at all
    - Bend one of your fingers, and discharge through the knuckle. There's almost no nerve endings at the knuckle, you will feel almost nothing.

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4
    2 simplest ways :
    Put lotion
    Wash your hands with water
    These 2 ways are based on the fact that dry skin and dry air are allies of static electricity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted