Will this man get an electric shock

I'm not sure how much capacitance there is between my body and the environment, but I have been "tickled" by 110VAC before and it's not exactly pleasant. I'd be careful.In summary, a properly insulated man will not receive an electrical shock if he touches the positive terminal of one 120V battery and the negative terminal of another 120V battery, as there is no circuit for current to flow through. However, if both negative terminals are properly grounded, the man will be at risk for an electrical shock if he is also grounded. This is because the distance between the ground does not affect the shock hazard as long as the ground is "proper". Additionally, if the positive terminals are grounded instead of the
Frenemy90210
If a properly insulated man touches with one hand +ve terminal of a 120 V battery and with another hand -ve terminal of (Edit: an another) 120V battery (two batteries are totally isolated, not connected in any way) then will he get electrical shock ? ( I am guessing , not). But if -ve terminals of both batterys are properly grounded, say a mile apart, will he get shocked ?What if +ve instead of -ve terminals are grounded, what will happen ?

Edit: Man is not grounded and well insulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Frenemy90210 said:
If a properly insulated man touches with one hand +ve terminal of a 120 V battery and with another hand -ve terminal of 120V battery (two batteries are totally isolated, not connected in any way) then will he get electrical shock ?

No. No circuit means no current.

Frenemy90210 said:
But if -ve terminals of both batterys are properly grounded, say a mile apart, will he get shocked ?

This presents essentially the same shock hazard as a single grounded battery. Is the man grounded in any way? If so then yes. If not then no. I would suggest against trying this yourself.

The distance between the ground is going to have little effect as long as the ground is "proper".

Frenemy90210 said:
What if +ve instead of -ve terminals are grounded, what will happen ?

This is the same as the previous situation. The direction of current though the body has no bearing on its hazard.

BoB

Likes cnh1995, davenn and Asymptotic
Frenemy90210 said:
If a properly insulated man touches with one hand +ve terminal of a 120 V battery and with another hand -ve terminal of (Edit: an another) 120V battery (two batteries are totally isolated, not connected in any way) then will he get electrical shock ? ( I am guessing , not). But if -ve terminals of both batterys are properly grounded, say a mile apart, will he get shocked ?What if +ve instead of -ve terminals are grounded, what will happen ?

Edit: Man is not grounded and well insulated.

Stop thinking of voltages as abosolute. The absolute voltage of your 120V battery could be called 120000V or -1200V. The choice of zero volts is arbitrary.

Likes MalcolmB, cnh1995 and jim hardy
Incidentally, I used 120 volt batteries for my home made radio equipment when I was a boy and did not receive shocks from that voltage unless really trying and making very good contact.
On the other hand, John Logie Baird, when working on television development, was given a thousand volts-worth of batteries, which, imagining them to be safe, he touched, and received a horrendous shock that nearly killed him.

Likes cnh1995
In theory the two batteries are isolated so he should be ok as long as there isn't much capacitance around.

1. Will this man get an electric shock if he touches a live wire?

Yes, if the live wire is connected to a power source and the man is not properly insulated, he will likely receive an electric shock.

2. How much voltage is needed to cause a person to receive an electric shock?

The amount of voltage needed to cause a person to receive an electric shock varies depending on factors such as the person's body resistance and the pathway of the current. However, it is generally accepted that a voltage of 100 volts or higher can cause an electric shock.

3. Can a person receive an electric shock without touching a live wire?

Yes, a person can receive an electric shock without directly touching a live wire if they come into contact with a conductive material that is in contact with the live wire. This is known as secondary contact and can still result in a dangerous electric shock.

4. What should I do if someone has received an electric shock?

If someone has received an electric shock, it is important to immediately turn off the power source and call for medical assistance. Do not touch the person until the power source has been turned off, as you may also receive an electric shock.

5. How can I protect myself from receiving an electric shock?

To protect yourself from receiving an electric shock, always assume that all electrical devices are live and follow proper safety precautions such as wearing rubber-soled shoes, using insulated tools, and turning off the power source before handling electrical equipment. It is also important to have a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) installed in areas where water and electricity may come into contact, such as bathrooms and kitchens.