Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does inviscid mean shear stress is negligible?

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    I have this flow with Reynold's number in the 10^5, which I think it's big enough to treat the fluid as inviscid, does this also mean I can assume the shear stress is negligible?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    First, what does inviscid mean, by definition?

Second, just because the flow is 10^5 does not mean you can ignore shear stress. What is the object under consideration?

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    It's a sphere with radius R immersed in water of velocity V. I'm asked to calculate the drag on it. I know the formula for drag is integral of Pcos theta dA + integral of shear stress sin theta dA . And I am not given any information regarding the shear stress, so I thought since the Re is pretty big, we might just treat the shear stress as negligible so only the first term of the equation needs to be calculated.

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4
    You could assume inviscid flow but its probably not an accurate assumption. Whats the viscosity or what fluid are you using?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
    If u are talking about term "Inviscid"....then u are correct.. its means flow is non viscous ,,,that in return means SHEAR STRESSES are minimum and can be neglected

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook