Does it make sense to break T duality at fundamental level?

Main Question or Discussion Point

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0605250

Here is an attempt to make bohmian mechanics compatible with string theory. It posits that T duality breaks at the fundamental level, and that the is no minimal length in the theory. Does this proposal make sense?

Likes Demystifier

Answers and Replies

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Why do you think that it might not make sense? What do you see as a potential problem?

Why do you think that it might not make sense? What do you see as a potential problem?
As I understand, the minimal length is crucial to any theory of quantum gravity in order for that theory to be consistent. You can look it up yourself.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As I understand, the minimal length is crucial to any theory of quantum gravity in order for that theory to be consistent. You can look it up yourself.
In the sense in which the minimal length is present is standard string theory, in the same sense the minimal length is present also in Bohmian string theory. However, Bohmian mechanics claims that standard quantum theory is incomplete, i.e. that one must add something additional that standard quantum theory doesn't have. So one can say that one part of the theory does have the minimal length (as required by quantum gravity, as you said), while the other part of the theory doesn't have it. This other part does not need to have the minimal length for consistency.