Does John H. Schwarz now believe in Verlinde`s gravity?

• Thread starter MTd2
  • Start date
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
He still has ideas---I wouldn't call them boring.

MTd2
Gold Member
I am not questioning if he has ideas, whether good or bad. I was a bit enthusiastic that one more important string theorist would leave behind what I consider boring, repetitive, dull, excessively complex, full of dead end. etc, ideas. Now I am bored.

atyy
Science Advisor
I still think the paper has a lot of Schwarz in it. There are reflections of a depth that I would not expect even of a PhD student---certainly not of a Caltech undergrad.
Have you never heard: flunk out of Caltech, get As at MIT?

MTd2
Gold Member
Oh, I just read your post #24. You added a lot of stuff. Hmm. Maybe that Indian guy is genius.

That sure got the paper some attention. Now I'll know when I submit my papers, I'll put Einstein as co-author. Genius, why didn't I think of it before?

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
... I was a bit enthusiastic that one more important string theorist would leave behind what I consider boring, repetitive, dull, excessively complex, full of dead end. etc, ideas. ...
When people people shift their research interest they don't always make a political declaration about it. They don't necessarily shift permanently or 100%. Or run a different flag up the mast. It can be subtle.

Last edited:
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
That sure got the paper some attention. Now I'll know when I submit my papers, I'll put Einstein as co-author. Genius, why didn't I think of it before?
I'll put Witten. Then it will be interesting to see who will attract more attention. :wink:

P.S. Is there a volunteer who would put Hawking? Just for the sake of experiment. :biggrin:

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
My guess is that the error was caused by Abhiram when he uploaded it to arxiv. He filled out some form wrong, put the wrong information in some box.
As it was the first paper written and submitted by Abhiram, the most likely possibility is that he thought that he was obliged to put Schwarz into the list of authors. Next time he will know.

qsa
He still has ideas---I wouldn't call them boring.
I am not sure what the fuss is all about. Since the paper seems to examine verlinde's theory in a very critical manner, also the author seems to try to prove the correctness of string theory in case verlinde's idea pan out (without contradicting string).

This is what I understood since I read the paper more carefully because it sort of answered my question in my "gravity in bound state" thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=432711 post #13

"Thank you for your response. the classical calculation is well known to me, but I guess I am not clear in my question. Since I am trying to get some connection between wavefunction(QM) and gravity I am more asking about the nature of QG. So when two waves overlap that is equivalent (or is it) to two particles sitting on top of each other, then shouldn't the particles gravities affect each other since their potential is of 1/r and r is going to zero (or maybe G going to 1). Or I guess the whole wavefunction must be taken into account. In this case you should see some effect if both are delta function sitting near each other. but the wave function must carry G somewhere (probably involving all constants but changing with distance). Any other ideas!"

see thumbnail (page 14 of the paper)

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1011/1011.4106v2.pdf

Attachments