Does KE=3/2nRT apply to all gases or only monatomic gases?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChloeYip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Enegy Gas Kinetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 6K views
ChloeYip
Messages
93
Reaction score
1
"KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" is applicable to only monatomic gas or all kind of gas?
What about " KE=1/2*fkT" ? (f: degree of freedom) Is it implies the same thing as "KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" ?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
degrees of freedom change with temperature, the following scale shows how molecules degrees change:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ux1.eiu.edu%2F%7Ecfadd%2F1360%2F21KineticTheory%2F21Images%2FFig21.07.jpg
Usually when solving a problem in undergraduate level, we assume that we are in room temp. So for mono. f=3 and diatomic particles f=5. Thus only translation and rotation freedom exist, but why mono. and dia. are different?

for mono. the shape is a sphere (symmetric in rotation), you can move it in x, y, and z but rotating it won't change anything so you have f=3+0=3. For dia. The shape is a line or rod (asymmetric in rotation) you can move it in x, y, and z direction but you can also rotate it in two angles (let's say: θ and φ) so you have f=3+2=5.
 
thanks for your reply, but I do understand the concept of degree of freedom
however, from my notes, "KE=3/2nRT=3/2kT" is applicable to all kind of gas" made me doubtful.
why the formula need not consider degree of freedom? or I have misunderstanding to the notes?
thanks
 
Yes 3/2kT can be applied only for mono atomic gasses, Mono atomic gasses have only 3 degrees of freedom (X,Y,Z) direction, that's why K.E comes out with 3/2 factor (f=3), But when go to diatomic and poly atomic gasses those are having degrees of freedom more than 3 including rotational and vibration degrees of freedom ( f=5,7... )then K.E comes with factor 5/2,7/2... likewise
 
So molecules like N2 should have KE=5/2kT, instead of 3/2kT, right?
However, when I read the post of https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123011943AAjliwr , question 39 of it,
is it wrong for "Now use the equation for average molecular kinetic energy: Ek = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38×10ˉ²³ J·Kˉ¹) and T is the absolute temperature. "?
Thank you very much.
 
ChloeYip said:
So molecules like N2 should have KE=5/2kT, instead of 3/2kT, right?
However, when I read the post of https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110123011943AAjliwr , question 39 of it,
is it wrong for "Now use the equation for average molecular kinetic energy: Ek = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38×10ˉ²³ J·Kˉ¹) and T is the absolute temperature. "?
Thank you very much.

Yes N2 has 5 degrees of freedom and KE=5/2kT
Yeah there must be a mistake unless they have neglected rotational and vibration effects
 
So how to solve this problem?

my copy of the question is:
" What is the total translational kinetic energy in a test chamber filled with nitrogen (N2) at 2.16 * 10^5 Pa and 20.7°C? The dimensions of the chamber are 4.00 m * 5.70 m * 7.40 m. The ATOMIC weight of nitrogen is 28.0 g/mol, Avogadro’s number is 6.022 * 10^23 molecules/mol and the Boltzmann constant is 1.38* 10^-23 J/K."
And the answer is " 5.47 * 10^7 J"
Even I tried with KE=5/2kT , still I can't get the answer...

Thanks
 
Last edited:
ChloeYip said:
So how to solve this problem?

my copy of the question is:
" What is the total translational kinetic energy in a test chamber filled with nitrogen (N2) at 2.16 °— 105 Pa and 20.7°C? The dimensions of the chamber are 4.00 m °— 5.70 m °— 7.40 m. The ATOMIC weight of nitrogen is 28.0 g/mol, Avogadro’s number is 6.022 °— 1023 molecules/mol and the Boltzmann constant is 1.38 °— 10-23 J/K."
And the answer is " 5.47 °— 10^7 J"
Even I tried with KE=5/2kT , still I can't get the answer...

Thanks

Make no mistake about, K.E= f/2kT is for per molecule or atom, the total K.E will be f/2Nkt, N is the number of atoms or molecules and also this question is about only transnational K.E, therefore you have to use 3/2Nkt (3 transnational degrees of freedom).
First you have to find the number of nitrogen molecules (N) using ideal gas equation. then use 3/2Nkt to calculate total transnational K.E
 
ChloeYip said:
I tried to calculate in the same way, i have got 25.644 *10^6 as the answer.
http://upload.lsforum.net/users/public/c39058IMG_3107k11.jpg

Is there any problem with my calculation? Thanks

use directly PV=NkT (or also you can us PV=nRT)
your calculation of N is incorrect; N=PV/kT I got N=8.9916 x 10^27 molecules

now using K.E=3/2NkT = 3/2*8.9916*10^27*1.38 x 10^-23*293.7= 5.4665x10^7 Joules
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChloeYip
I see. Thanks for the much simpler way for finding the number of molecules. I can get the answer now.
Thank you very much.

[Sorry, I found problem right after this post is post >.<]
 
Last edited:
Wait~
Hiranya Pasan said:
K.E=3/2kT = 3/2*1.38 x 10^-23*293.7= 5.4665x10^7 Joules
You didn't use N,thus P at all and you found the answer! Why no need to multiply N? and the answer is not dependent on pressure?
 
ChloeYip said:
Wait~

You didn't use N,thus P at all and you found the answer! Why no need to multiply N? and the answer is not dependent on pressure?

sorry I did a mistake when typing, you need to multiply by N, because to find Total translational energy
 
Last edited:
Indeed, I just found that we can simply KE=3/2*pV :)
Thank you very much anyway~
 
ChloeYip said:
Indeed, I just found that we can simply KE=3/2*pV :)

Yes, correct for this case, but KE=3/2*pV is not going to work every time, Energy is a function of Temperature only plus KE=3/2*pV works only for ideal gases, so better to go with f/2kT