Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Does Marijuana make you more creative?

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    I have a professional musician friend that claims marijuana makes him more creative. Is there any scientific evidence for or against this hypothesis?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Based on the historical data -
    60s music = marijuana
    70s music = LSD
    80s music = cocaine
    90s music = ecstacy

I would say yes!

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    Funny. You obviously grew up in the 60s.

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, it certainly makes people think they are more creative!

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    And deluded people think they know the truth. People will often fool themselves.

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Inasmuch as it effectively tosses you into an altered world of perceptions and thoughts, where your routine life is all upset, I'd say sure that will likely cause you to make creative connections you would not otherwise have made.

But that does not mean you have the presence of mind to accurately assess the quality of the result...

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

tolerance to thc is very quickly achieved. after that, its like having coffee in the morning, it just kick ure brain into gear ;)

9. Nov 10, 2008 #8
    It might not be so much creative as just making you think in a different way. One thing for sure is that too much of it will have a negative effect.

10. Nov 10, 2008 #9
    It definitely can make you more creative in your eating habits. Or in your complaints to your doctor about symptoms that indicate for treatment with marijuana.

11. Nov 12, 2008 #10
    heh, that's funny, but true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?