Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does microwaving food pose health risks or dangers?

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    on the net there seems to be arguments both ways for whether or not microwave oven poses danger to health.

So who do i believe?

Are there any credible institutions, reserch papers, committees etc. that have discussed this?

if so, please let me know

regards

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Under normal use, no, there are no issues. The internet is full of idiotic conspiracy theories, false information, crackpot sites with crackpot information.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/microwave_ovens_and_food_safety/index.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 7, 2011 #3

Danger

Gold Member

The trick is to not turn one on while you are in it.

By the bye... I object to your use of the word "dangers" (plural); there is only one of me, and while I've been known to haunt some pretty bizarre places, none of them have been ovens of any sort.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

could be dangerous if you wrap your food in aluminum foil.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #5
  7. Oct 7, 2011 #6
    well, if you live on the 10th floor and throw your microwave out the window, yes, then it could be hazardous to the health of someone down below on the ground.

8. Oct 7, 2011 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Bottom line being: Don't nuke your condoms before use. They won't work properly. Also, don't nuke them after use, because nobody on the face of the planet would want to clean up the resultant mess. :yuck:

9. Oct 8, 2011 #8
    Microwaves can cause pace makers to malfunction.

10. Oct 8, 2011 #9

Danger

Gold Member

That is Nature's way, through technology, to counteract the population explosion that would have occurred due to Technology's understandable exploitation of lesser species.

11. Oct 8, 2011 #10
    Ok, the previous responses have been duly noted.

Microwave ovens have been in use since the 1905s. They've withstood massive amounts of scrutiny from all countries, and no evidence has been found to say they're unsafe.

Nuke away.

12. Oct 8, 2011 #11
    Are you implying the foil will taint the food in some way, or are you revering to the dangers of microwaving metal related to sparks, oven damage, etc? My microwave oven manual actually recommends using aluminum foil in the microwave in specific ways (shape is very important), so if done correctly, no sparks. Of course, I'd be terrified to actually try it.

13. Oct 8, 2011 #12

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I said wrap, as in all over the food. It was mostly a joke for anyone who has seen arcing in microwaver - you would have mega-arcing.

Yes, I have seen older microwaves talking about carefully covering corners of some foods with foil. I actually tried it a few times, and it was difficult to arrange so as not to arc.

14. Oct 8, 2011 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it still the 70's? If there is still a person with the pacemaker that would be flummoxed by a kitchen microwave, that person needs to sue their doctors. You will still see some signs of warning about "Microwave in use," but they are on the same level as "No Cell Phones" at a gas station.

15. Oct 8, 2011 #14
    Its rare, but it can still occur. I'd say things like driving and smoking and drinking (especially if you do them all at once) is infinitely more hazardous to your health, but the op just asked if there are any health risks.

16. Oct 8, 2011 #15

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you knew somebody personally who was killed by a microwave (either by using it, or because it fell from the top of a tall building), then worry.

Otherwise, don't.

17. Oct 8, 2011 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My father has had a pacemaker since the late 80s. He's actually on his third kind. Every doctor he has talked to regarding his pacemaker (dozens of them by now) has put the "microwave" warning down to the level of "urban myth." Cell-phones will have more of an effect, which is why he was told to not put his cell phone in his breast-pocket; should he ever get one, which at this point is doubtful.

18. Oct 8, 2011 #17

Danger

Gold Member

:confused:
    You figure...?
    I'm pretty sure that the first microwave oven on the market was Raytheon's "Radar Range" in 1947, inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Clarke and friends who invented radar to warn about buzz bombs and Messerschmitts trying to sneak across the Channel.

Or were your typing fingers temporarily dyslexic and you meant "1950s"? :tongue:

19. Oct 8, 2011 #18
    I'd say its almost an urban myth. Right up there with the odds of getting hit by lightening seven times which has happened, but is about as unlikely as it gets.

20. Oct 8, 2011 #19

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm with Danger on this one. Practical magnetrons were first used for radar in WWII, and that's the same technology as the first microwave ovens. There are stories of some of the "boffins" in the UK using their test rigs for cooking.

The very first vacuum tube electronic devices weren't invented until 1906-7.

21. Oct 8, 2011 #20

Danger

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that it was a transpositional typo on Dan's part. (The other Dan, that is. The evil Dan. Not me. I'm the sweet and loveable, although heavily armed and easily irritated, Dan. He is the evil one, which is not necessarily a bad thing...)
    Hmppphhh... Okay, I'm going home now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook