Example of debate on artificial sweeteners

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, both sides of this discussion have valid points. People with diabetes may be more likely to use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, and there is some concern that sweeteners might have negative impacts on health.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Why is this post here in discussion? It is an example of how discussion proceeds in an area that is actually public health, ostensibly diet and health in the context of inflammation mediated disease processes caused by diet, specifically processed foods. We often have discussions that work like this one seems to be going: people with strongly rooted and divergent beliefs. But in terms of "position" it is very clear why those differences are likely to clash.

Here are two points of view at a level anyone here can easily see and understand:
A: https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/A...weeteners-Association-Calorie-Control-Council

B: Lustig R., "Metabolical", pp 178-81 Artificial sweeteners section

Discussion point: "diet sweetener consumption is also correlated with metabolic disease, very like sucrose".

I think both sides agree on this part:
Metabolic disease is a collection of diseases that are caused by inflammation. One example is insulin resistance:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-86993-7
Think of it as excessive insulin secretion as a positive feedback biochemical loop.

You can probably guess a priori which contributor wants to represent "pro" and which one "con".

Remember "correlation is not causation". So both sides can posit some credibility. As a guess. The discussion is really about insulin resistance caused by consuming processed foods with sweeteners. Sucrose (table sugar, a dimer of fructose and glucose) is a reasonably well established causative factor, so the logical point would be are sweeteners okay to replace sucrose? Do sweeteners cause an insulin misfire by the pancreas?

• Informative
Likes scottdave and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
I have to think that fooling the brain by sending taste-bud signals of sugar-energy but not delivering it has to have bad effects.

• Skeptical
Likes Tom.G and Bystander
I'm curious how the article by Lustig accounted (or didn't) for the fact that people who have diabetes tend to use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.

Likes swampwiz
Is there some science here? Could we have some references for categorical statements? I was hoping to see a good discussion because I am undecided

Likes russ_watters
Back in the news:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ts-unhealthy-weight-gain-effects/70344636007/

I'd be interested in some quality discussion of the issue as well, because I feel like these articles are chosen once a month with a prize wheel (eggs, coffee, red wine, sweetener, etc...) and a coin flip to decide if it's good or bad.

Logic tells me that the primary impact of sweetener is at face value good, and that the difficulty in identifying negative impacts means that they are at worst insignificant.

Likes Bystander
russ_watters said:
Logic tells me that the primary impact of sweetener is at face value good, and that the difficulty in identifying negative impacts means that they are at worst insignificant.
Taste like gasoline to a few of us (maybe the 1:10 - 1:20 for whom cilantro tastes like soap), but otherwise good to neutral.

Likes russ_watters
Looking at a copy of the American Diabetes Association New Family Cookbook for People with DIabetes - copyright 1999, I see no mention of artificial sweetners. Many of the recipes call for sugar. Some call for molasses or honey.

I haven't found any good information about using artificial sweetners in things cooked at high heat. There are recipes that used them in baking, which is typically done at 350 F. But I don't know about using them in things like barbecue sauce, which might be used to coat meat that is seared.

What are artificial sweeteners?

Artificial sweeteners are sugar substitutes that are used to provide sweetness to food and drinks without adding calories. They are chemically synthesized and are much sweeter than regular sugar.

What are the different types of artificial sweeteners?

The most commonly used artificial sweeteners are aspartame, sucralose, saccharin, and stevia. Each of these sweeteners has a different level of sweetness and is used in different types of food and drinks.

Are artificial sweeteners safe to consume?

The safety of artificial sweeteners has been a topic of debate for many years. While they are approved by the FDA, some studies have linked them to health concerns such as cancer and weight gain. However, the FDA and other health organizations have deemed them safe for consumption in moderate amounts.

What are the benefits of using artificial sweeteners?

The main benefit of using artificial sweeteners is that they provide sweetness without adding calories. This makes them a popular choice for people trying to lose weight or manage their blood sugar levels. They also do not contribute to tooth decay like regular sugar does.

What are the drawbacks of using artificial sweeteners?

Some people may experience side effects from consuming artificial sweeteners, such as headaches, dizziness, and gastrointestinal issues. Additionally, since they are much sweeter than regular sugar, they may contribute to a preference for overly sweet foods and drinks, leading to an unhealthy diet.

Back