1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Does more angular monentum mean faster spin?

1. Jun 3, 2016 #1
    If a top has angular momentum of 12 units and the earth has angular momentum of 100. Does this mean that Earth is spinning faster than the top since it has more angular momentum? The answer is there at the back of my head but cant articulate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Angular velocity tells you what spins faster.

4. Jun 3, 2016 #3
    No. Angular momentum ( its magnitude) is the product of moment of inertia and the angular velocity. In your case the rotational inertia of the earth and the top aren't equal, so you can't make the conclusion as you did.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. Jun 3, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A typo, there, it's Angular Momentum that you meant.

6. Jun 3, 2016 #5
    Aah yes, sorry.. I'll edit it. Thanks.

7. Jun 3, 2016 #6
    As everyone else has said, the answer is no. You could only draw the conclusion you draw if the objects are the same (same mass and distribution of mass). To be more precise, the moment of inertia needs to be the same. I think you could draw this conclusion from other posts, but I just wanted to be explicit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted