Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does physics support the notion of eternity?

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    Or time being infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    I would assume that physics does support the notion of eternity seems as space-time is a continuum and will last for an infinite amount of time. :)

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Most physicists would probably say your question is too philosophical to merit a serious scientific response (the proverbial "what exactly do you mean?" right). However, even after all the chemical and physical reactions have taken place and there is nothing left in this universe but radiation, I'm tempted to agree with the above response that the spacetime continuum will still be here. There just won't be any meaningful objects within it. So in that sense, yes the universe could exist eternally -- just not in any recognizable fashion.

Edit: The only problem with the above reasoning would be if the laws of physics in this universe somehow changed drastically. To understand if that can happen, or how it can happen, we need to more about the nature of reality. Hopefully the LHC will give us some knowledge towards that front and help us establish, at long last, a sound TOE.

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I don't know about the past, but since we exist here and now, then no matter how far in to the future something goes, it will all ways be a finite amount of time between then and now.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, its the other way around. Some mathematicians got crazy while trying to understand infinites. For physicists infinite time / force / energy just means: "Ain't gonna happen. Problem solved" :smile:

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6
    Hmmmmmmmm...

I suppose that physics sort of supports such a notion given the fact that it is unknown at present whether or not the universe has always had a timelike component.

Here's another way of looking at it: math 'supports the notion' of infinity, and time is a quantity that can be assigned a number for an amount, so if a period of time were assigned infinity for its duration you would have eternity.

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7

9. Dec 7, 2009 #8

tot

what on earth are you guys talking about. Most physicists I know accept infinity pretty well.
    You don't believe in the reality of Integrals?
    We can perfectly calculate Riemann sums with integrals! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum
    and this is infinite little bars!

Someone should delete these stupid posts.
    The internet needs government moderation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  10. Dec 7, 2009 #9

tot

time is finite when it comes to how long your brain will function! so quit the philosophical banter and study!
    Build a particle accelerator!

11. Dec 7, 2009 #10
    Relax, tiger. The person who started the thread inquired about "the notion of eternity" and "infinite time." This is a physics forum, not a Catholic seminary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook