Does series converge or Diverge?

• Thread starter bengaltiger14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the given series is divergent according to the Ratio Test. After substituting n+1 for all n's and simplifying, the result is 2/(n+2), which tends to 0 as n approaches infinity. This means the series does not converge.
bengaltiger14
Does series converge or Diverge?

Homework Statement

((2^n)/((n+1)!)) Bottom of Summation: n=0, top is infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

Replacing the n's with n+1, then inverting and multiplying the following:

((2^n * 2) / ((n+1)+1)n!)) * ((n+1) * n! ) / 2^n

I got 2, with is greater than 1, so it diverges according to the Ratio Test.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incorrect, it should be 0.

"((n+1)+1)n!))" should be (n+2)(n+1)*n! - which cancels with the (n+1)*n!, leaving 2/(n+2)

Thanks Proton. That makes sense. I did not even think to add the two 1's together.

Well. Just writing it out on paper and it does not make sense to me what you said Proton. Why would ((n+1)+1)n! equat (n+2)(n+1) * n!?? It seems that if anything it would be just (n+2)*n!

Then the result would be (2n+1)/n+2

2^(n+1)/2^n=2. ((n+1)+1)!/(n+1)!=(n+2)!/(n+1)!=(n+2)*(n+1)!/(n+1)!=n+2.
So the total ratio is 2/(n+2)->0 as Proton said.

Could you step me through this. It is just not making any sense.

after substituting n+1 for all n's, I have:
(2^n * 2)/((n+1)+1)n!)

This equation to be multiplied by ((n+1)n!)/2^n

I understand getting (n+2)n! after added the two ones together. Just don't see where that second n+1 comes from

Concentrate on substituting n->n+1 in (n+1)*n!. The first factor changes to (n+2) (I think you are ok on that) but the second factor needs to change to (n+1)! since it contains n and n should be changed to n+1. So the result is (n+1)n! -> (n+2)(n+1)!. Now split (n+1)!=(n+1)*n!.

Ok... i understand. I was not substituting the n+1 into the n!. I was cancelling the two n!'s. Thanks for your help. I understand now. Just simply overlooking that step.

What is the definition of convergence and divergence for a series?

The convergence of a series means that the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. On the other hand, the divergence of a series means that the terms of the series do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are multiple methods for determining convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the terms of the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

What is the significance of determining if a series converges or diverges?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series is important for understanding the behavior of the series and its terms. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, where series are commonly used to model real-world phenomena.

Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge. If the terms of a series do not approach a finite limit, the series is considered divergent. If the terms approach a finite limit, the series is considered convergent.

What are some examples of series that converge and diverge?

Some common examples of convergent series are the geometric series, the telescoping series, and the p-series. On the other hand, the harmonic series and the alternating harmonic series are examples of divergent series. However, it is important to note that the convergence or divergence of a series can only be determined by applying specific tests, as not all series behave in the same way.