Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Spin have rotational kinetic energy?

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    I have two questions regarding rotational kinetic energy. I know that rotational kinetic energy is defined as:

KE = ½ I Ω^2

Where KE is the rotational kinetic energy [in units of: joules; kg*m^2/s^2], I is the Moment of inertial [in units of: kg* m^2], and Ω is angular velocity [in units of: radians/sec^2 or 1/s^2] so that the units check.

If (Electron or Nuclear) Spin is defined as J, with values equal to a half integer * h/2π, where h is Plank’s constant [in units of: Joule *seconds or kg*m^2/s],

#1, Is the rotational kinetic energy associated with Spin: KE = ½ J Ω ? (so the units check).

Since V = Ω R, where V is velocity, and R is the radius (or the Electron or Nucleus), so Ω = V/R, and since the fastest possible speed is the speed of light, c,

#2, Is the greatest possible rotational kinetic energy associated with Spin: KE = ½ J c/R ? (so the units check).

Please advise,
    Sincerely,
    Jeff Byram

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

NLB

Hello Jeff, I see this question is almost 2 years old. Did anyone ever answer you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook