Does the amount of energy affect the dissociation of methane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Aafia
Messages
70
Reaction score
1
I hear that methane is known dissociate into free radicals and sometimes into ions (carbocation and hydrogen proton). Is it different amounts energy responsible for the same molecule (methane) to undergoing different kinds of dissociation?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Aafia said:
I hear that methane is known dissociate into free radicals and sometimes into ions (carbocation and hydrogen proton). Is it different amounts energy responsible for the same molecule (methane) to undergoing different kinds of dissociation?
Yes.
 
Aafia said:
dissociate into free radicals and sometimes into ions
You've already answered your own question.
 
Bystander said:
You've already answered your own question.
Does this mean that if energy absorbed is more the molecule will dissociate into ions and if it is less molecule will dissociate into free radicals?
 
I would assume in the gas phase dissociation into ions always requires more energy, as you have to move attracting charges away.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Aafia