1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the bond between atoms affect Thermal Expansion?

1. Jun 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From a journal I read that the cobalt-based perovskite cathode usually has better ionic and electrical conduction but higher TEC compare to Maganite-based perovskite cathode. Because of the Co-O bond is weaker than Mn-O bond.

e.g.
    Cobalt-based perovskite cathode, La0.3Sr0.7CoO3-x has thermal expansion coefficient(TEC) at around 20x10-6K-1 while La0.65Sr0.3MnO3-x with TEC around 10 x10-6K-1
    ...probably this is not a very good comparison because the La to Sr ratio is a little bit different...

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it because of the weaker bond of Co-O bond, the mobility of Oxygen ion increase thus better ionic conduction; And the Co-O make further distance because of weaker bonding force when heat is apply causing high TEC value.

...extra question...sorry can't change the thread tittle...
    And i did read somewhere before about the peroskite structure, ABO3, where A is the larger atoms at 8 corner of the unit cell and B is the smaller cation at the center of the unit cell, and if A is much larger than B in radius, the gap in the unit cell is bigger so the oxygen ion can move through the gap easier. I found that Mn and Co is in same row in period table, just Co has 2 extra electron and proton compare to Mn so its size is smaller...probably not much smaller, but does this size difference affect the mobility of oxygen ion too?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted