Does the Cross Product of -k and -i Result in +j?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
max8404
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
simple cross product question. Please help!

Homework Statement



Hey guys, I know how cross product works,

i-->j-->k : positive numbers
i<--j<--k : negative number

Homework Equations



The question that I have is, say I have -k x -i, I am supposed to get a positive j since the two negatives cancel out, is that correct? I would really appreciate any help, I have a final in less than 10 hours and would love a quick response! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


(-k)x(-i) is +j. Yes, it's the same as (k)x(i).
 


Dick said:
(-k)x(-i) is +j. Yes, it's the same as (k)x(i).


excellent! thanks for your quick response. Now, to continue studying for this nasty final! :)