Solution to the Two-Body Problem: Cross-Product and Dot-Product Integration

In summary: So when taking the cross product with ##\mathbf h##, you have to use the product rule. The correct integration result is$$\dot{\mathbf r} \times \mathbf h = GM \left(\frac{\mathbf r}{r} + \mathbf e \right) t + \text{constant}$$where the constant depends on the initial conditions. From here, you can take the dot product with ##\mathbf r## to get the final solution. In summary, the two-body problem is given by the equation $$\ddot{\mathbf r} + \frac{GM}{r^2} \frac{\mathbf r}{r} = 0$$ and the
TimeRip496

Homework Statement

Two-body problem given as
$$\ddot{\textbf{r}}+\frac{GM}{r^2}\frac{\textbf{r}}{r}=0$$
$$\textbf{h}=\textbf{r}\times\dot{\textbf{r}}$$
where the moment of the momentum vector mh

Homework Equations

The vector solution to the above equation may be obtained by first taking the cross-product with the constant h and integrating once with respect to time. This yields
$$\dot{\textbf{r}}\times\textbf{h}=GM(\frac{\textbf{r}}{r}+\textbf{e})$$

The final solution to the equation is then obtained by taking the dot product of above equation with r, is
$$r=\frac{h^2/(GM)}{1+ecos\theta}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what the author is doing. How does cross product with the momentum and then dot product with r solve the equation?

I try following his step but I get a different integration result
$$\dot{\textbf{r}}\times\textbf{h}=GM(\frac{\textbf{r}}{r^3}t\times\textbf{h}+\textbf{e})$$
I have no idea how his integration w.r.t. time for the GM/r2 reduces it to GM/r and how to cross product GM/r2 with h since they are unknown variables?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the objective here? To find ##r(t)## and ##\theta(t)##? If so, the solution is well-known...Landau / Lifshitz "Mechanics" has a good summary if you've never seen it.

TimeRip496 said:
I try following his step but I get a different integration result
$$\dot{\textbf{r}}\times\textbf{h}=GM(\frac{\textbf{r}}{r^3}t\times\textbf{h}+\textbf{e})$$
How did you get the first term on the right: ##GM(\frac{\textbf{r}}{r^3}t\times\textbf{h}) \,##?

Keep in mind that ##\mathbf r## and ##r## are functions of time. You cannot treat them as constants when integrating with respect to time.

1. What is the 2-body problem?

The 2-body problem is a classical mechanics problem that involves determining the motion of two point masses under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction.

2. How is the 2-body problem solved?

The solution to the 2-body problem involves using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation, to determine the positions and velocities of the two bodies at any given time.

3. What are the assumptions made in the 2-body problem solution?

The 2-body problem solution makes several assumptions, including that the two bodies are point masses, that they do not interact with any other objects, and that their motion is purely under the influence of gravity.

4. Can the 2-body problem solution be applied to real-world scenarios?

While the 2-body problem is a simplified model, it can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as the motion of planets around the sun or the motion of satellites around the Earth. However, it does not account for all factors and may not be completely accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to the 2-body problem solution?

Yes, there are limitations to the 2-body problem solution. It assumes that the two bodies are point masses, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not account for other forces, such as atmospheric drag, that may affect the motion of the bodies.