1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the electric field reach a value equal to half its maximum value?

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    A non-conducting sphere of radius R = 7 cm carries a charge Q = 4 mC distributed uniformly throughout its volume. At what distance, measured from the center of the sphere does the electric field reach a value equal to half its maximum value?

My attempt:

Emax= q(4mC)/7
    r= 7/2 cm = 3.5

is this correct? because one of my friend said 9.9... so idk if im right or are both values

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure how exactly you determined the maximum of the electric field. It appears that all you did was divide the charge by the radius. This is not a correct formula and doesn't even give you the units of an electric field. My suggestion would be to use Gauss' Law to find the electric field as a function of radius. This will allow you to determine at what radius the maximum occurs (although with a bit of experience it should be fairly obvious). From there you can set the equation for the field equal to half that value and solve for r.

Just a hint, there should actually be two radii at which the field is equal to half its maximum.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. Jun 30, 2013 #3
    I agree with your friend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted