Does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle make human teleportation impossible?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, the decoherence/quantum noise does make the teleportation of a human extremely difficult. I'm guessing that putting a human in a vacuum does reduce the quantum noise to some degree, but that measure alone would probably not be nearly enough. One thing to keep in mind regarding vacuum is that even the best laboratory vacuums (pressures of around 10-12 torr) still have a particle density of around 35,000 particles per cubic centimeter. So a human in an ultrahigh vacuum still has plenty of interaction with the environment.
Of course, that question can be turned around: if there is so much environmental decoherence, in what way can one consider that these quantum states are relevant to the "definition" of a human being ? I mean, *does it matter* to the person in question that there are these interactions with even a high vacuum ? If we make errors due to this decoherence, would the human being being teleported actually mind ? Because the original also suffers that decoherence, and seems to do all right with it.

Teleporting: hmmm what an interesting topic. Transportation over a distance instantly through space. Although this does not come across to me as a physical possibility, it is still fun to think about. how can you determine the distance travelled when teleportation occurs. Technically It can’t travel at all, It simply teleports emerging from where it was supposed to. And Evan if that was to occur we have no way of calculating anything faster than light. So maybe it didn’t teleport, maybe it moved faster than a calculable speed. Theoretically if you were to teleport you would be moving faster than space it self, and how can you calculate a speed faster than space. Its infinity, offcourse we can lessen ourselves by playing the schoolyard games. Infinity plus 1.

Teleporting: hmmm what an interesting topic. Transportation over a distance instantly through space. Although this does not come across to me as a physical possibility, it is still fun to think about. how can you determine the distance travelled when teleportation occurs. Technically It can’t travel at all, It simply teleports emerging from where it was supposed to. And Evan if that was to occur we have no way of calculating anything faster than light. So maybe it didn’t teleport, maybe it moved faster than a calculable speed. Theoretically if you were to teleport you would be moving faster than space it self, and how can you calculate a speed faster than space. Its infinity, offcourse we can lessen ourselves by playing the schoolyard games. Infinity plus 1.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Teleporting: hmmm what an interesting topic. Transportation over a distance instantly through space. Although this does not come across to me as a physical possibility, it is still fun to think about.
Quantum teleportation is NOT instantaneously: there is a message to be sent from the "read" station to the "write" station with a material (or photonic) carrier.

The definition of teleport is to transport across space and distance instantly. So Don’t correct me correct the Oxford dictionary.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The definition of teleport is to transport across space and distance instantly. So Don’t correct me correct the Oxford dictionary.
You are semantically right, that teleportation has a meaning corresponding to immediate (whatever that means!) disintegration and simultaneous remote reconstruction, but then the "physical" basis of teleportation is over: it is forbidden by relativity, and hence not rooted in any serious scientific consideration ; we are in the realm of the fantastic, on the same level as unicorns and haunted castles.

However, given that the OP was talking about the Heisenberg uncertainty relationship in teleportation and given that this is a physics forum, one might consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation" [Broken], which for sure isn't instantaneous, but which avoids, in principle, the classical teleportation/copy difficulty with the Heisenberg uncertainty relationships. In my comment, I talked about quantum teleportation.

Last edited by a moderator: