Does the Limit of aCn/na Approach 1/a! as n Approaches Infinity?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nhmllr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nhmllr
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
Here's the weird limit:

lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] aCn/na = 1/(a!)

Don't ask how I thought this up, but let me explain my reasoning.
Let's say that a=3. Then aCn = (n)(n-1)(n-2)
And because n is approaching infinity, could it be (n)(n)(n) = n3?

I wouldn't normally think of things like this but if it's true then it helps me out.

The only thing is that (n)(n-1)(n-2)= n3 +something*n2+something*n

And when I graphed it it looked like it approaches zero.
I've never learned limits formally. Thanks.

EDIT: aCn is a Choose n, or n!/(a![n-a]!)
EDIT: Wolfram alpha is amazing http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+(x!/(3!(x-3)!x^3))+as+x->+infinity
Sorry for not trying this before posting. I'd still be interested in other replies as to why this is true, though
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nhmllr said:
Here's the weird limit:

lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] aCn/na = 1/(a!)

Don't ask how I thought this up, but let me explain my reasoning.
Let's say that a=3. Then aCn = (n)(n-1)(n-2)
And because n is approaching infinity, could it be (n)(n)(n) = n3?
No, because n is not fixed, it is, as you said, approaching infinity.
In any case, aCn= n(n-1)(n-3)/3!, not just n(n-1)(n-2). That goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

I wouldn't normally think of things like this but if it's true then it helps me out.

The only thing is that (n)(n-1)(n-2)= n3 +something*n2+something*n

And when I graphed it it looked like it approaches zero.
I've never learned limits formally. Thanks.

EDIT: aCn is a Choose n, or n!/(a![n-a]!)
EDIT: Wolfram alpha is amazing http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+(x!/(3!(x-3)!x^3))+as+x->+infinity
Sorry for not trying this before posting. I'd still be interested in other replies as to why this is true, though
Now, this is completely different- you have an [itex]n^3[/itex] in the denominator.
[tex]\frac{_nC_3}{n^3}= \frac{n!}{3!(n-3)!}\frac{1}{n^3}= \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6n^3}[/tex]
Since both numerator and denominator are of third power in n, that limit is 1/6.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried yet, but a stirling's approximation of [itex]{}_aC_n[/itex] would give the correct limit
[tex]n!\sim\sqrt{2\pi n}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n[/tex]
 
No, you're limit is correct. It's also not that weird. Consider the expansion of [itex]{n\choose a}=\frac{n(n-1)\ldots (n-a+1)}{a!}[/itex]. Then, consider that [itex]\frac{n(n-1)\ldots (n-a+1)}{n^a}=1\cdot (1-\frac{1}{n})\cdot\ldots\cdot (1-\frac{a-1}{n})[/itex]. Each of those factors goes to 1 as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex], thus the whole product goes to 1 as well. The expression [itex]{n\choose a}n^{-a}[/itex] is the same thing, but divided by [itex]a![/itex].