Does the series of 1/n^(1+a) converge or diverge

• Thread starter v_pino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of the infinite sum (from n=1) of 1/n^(1+a) where 0 < a < 1. The student attempted to use the ratio test, comparison test, and integral test, but was unable to make a conclusive comparison. They then asked for clarification on why the value of "a" was set to 0.1 in the integral test, and if leaving it as "a" would still result in convergence to 1.
v_pino

Homework Statement

I have to determine whether the infinite sum (from n=1) of 1/n^(1+a) converges or diverges. Where 0 < a < 1

Homework Equations

Ration Test

Comparison / Integral test

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using the ratio test but it gives me 1, so it cannot determine convergence or divergence.

I then tried using comparision test, comparing it to 1/n (which diverges) and 1/n^2 (which converges). But since 1/n^(1+a) is smaller than 1/n and greater than 1/n^2 I cannot make such comparison.

Then I used integral test where I let a=0.1 . This method tells me that for (a) greater than or equal to 0.1 the series converges. But how do I show that it converges (I think it converges) for (a) less than 0.1?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Why "a= 0.1"? Why not just leave it as "a"?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Leaving it as (a), I got the answer as

(1/(-2-a)).((1/n^(2+a)) - 1)

If this is right, then it will converge to 1.

So am does this mean that the series will converge to 1 as well?

thanks again

1. What is the general formula for the series 1/n^(1+a)?

The general formula for the series 1/n^(1+a) is given by S = 1/1^1+a + 1/2^1+a + 1/3^1+a + ... + 1/n^1+a. The value of 'a' can vary depending on the specific series being evaluated.

2. What is the significance of 'a' in the series 1/n^(1+a)?

The value of 'a' in the series 1/n^(1+a) plays a crucial role in determining whether the series converges or diverges. If 'a' is greater than 1, the series will converge. If 'a' is less than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

3. How do you determine if the series 1/n^(1+a) converges or diverges?

To determine if the series 1/n^(1+a) converges or diverges, you can use the Integral or Comparison Test. If the integral of the series converges, then the series converges. If the integral of the series diverges, then the series also diverges. Alternatively, you can compare the series to a known series whose convergence or divergence is already known.

4. Can the series 1/n^(1+a) converge and diverge at the same time?

No, the series 1/n^(1+a) can either converge or diverge, but not both simultaneously. The convergence or divergence of the series is determined by the value of 'a' as mentioned earlier. If 'a' satisfies the conditions for convergence, the series will converge. If 'a' satisfies the conditions for divergence, the series will diverge.

5. What are some real-world applications of the series 1/n^(1+a)?

The series 1/n^(1+a) can be used in various mathematical models, such as in the study of population growth or radioactive decay. It can also be used in finance, for example, in calculating compound interest rates. Additionally, it has applications in physics, particularly in the study of energy and power laws.