Does the Series \(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n(1+\frac{1}{n})^n\) Diverge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sid9221
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
sid9221
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
[tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty} (-1)^n(1+\frac{1}{n})^n[/tex]

I've tried the alternating series test but the "b_n" part converges to e.

Can't think of any other test...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sid9221! :smile:

hint: draw an against n on graph paper (as dots) …

what does it look like? :wink:​
 
I know I've seen the plot somewhere (can't remember the technical name).

It looks like a sin function but one that's increasing .

I know it diverges just can't prove it.
 
Use the "n-th term test for divergence." If the limit of the n-th term in the series is different from 0 or doesn't exist, the series diverges.
 
How to you take the limit of (-1)^n.

Wolfram alpha says e^2i 0 to Pi ?!
 
sid9221 said:
How to you take the limit of (-1)^n.

Wolfram alpha says e^2i 0 to Pi ?!

You are missing the whole point. If you have a series [itex]S = t_1 - t_2 + t_3 - t_4 + \cdots,[/itex] with all [itex]t_i > 0 \;( \text{or all } < 0),[/itex] you need [itex]|t_n| \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow 0.[/itex] Of course the factors [itex](-1)^n[/itex] do not have a limit, but that is not important.

RGV