Does the speed of sound change in metal when heated?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
volican
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Is the speed of sound different through the same piece of metal when it is heated compared to when at ambient temperature?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
volican said:
Is the speed of sound different through the same piece of metal when it is heated compared to when at ambient temperature?
What are your thoughts? What things affect the speed of sound in a material?
 
I'm thinking it does because the density would be different.
 
volican said:
I'm thinking it does because the density would be different.
I would think so too, but I think the speed of sound in a material depends on other things as well. I'd look up the speed of sound in materials (maybe start at Wikipedia), and look at the equation there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444