1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the sun or the moon have a greater affect on the tides?

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know the moon does. I know it is because tidal forces fall off as 1/r3. But why? Mathematically, I mean.

2. Relevant equations
    F = GMm/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    None

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

In what way does this statement not contain both the question and the answer?

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    I should have been more specific. How do you get from F = GMm/r2 to an equation for tides that has a 1/r3 in it?

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Did you try a search on Tidal Force? Even the Wikipedia article on Tidal Force shows a short derivation (granted it's for the locations lying along the line joining the centers of the two interacting bodies, but it avoids the vector math required for the more general solution for points located anywhere on the surface of the smaller body).

6. Dec 6, 2016 #5
    Tides result because of the variation of the force of gravity. Points on the side of the earth near to the moon are more strongly attracted than points on the far side.

In other words, the tides are not caused by the force of gravity which is proportional to 1/r2 but rather by the variation in that force over a distance the size of the earth, that is to say the spatial derivative . And the derivative of 1/r2 is ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted