Does the theory of information have anything to offer for physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
SVN
Messages
49
Reaction score
1
Is there any use for this concept in classical branches of physics? Can it be of any help for a physicist in resolving problems (or, at least, in resolving them more efficiently when compared with traditional methods)?

The word «classical» means exactly that, i. e. mechanics, hydrodynamics, electromagnetism (field theory in general), thermodynamics (I heard the notion of information might come in handy in statistical mechanics, though) and chemical physics as well as atomic physics. I am not talking here about theories of signal transmission or cryptography or quantum computing or whatever (I have no doubts the notion of information plays central rôle in those fields).

I would be grateful for any references to serious papers or monographs on physical applications (in the said areas) of information theory that are not claimed to be deeply erroneous or utterly misleading by other serious physicists (a good example is the monograph with attractive title «Physics from Fisher information» by B. R. Frieden that was listed among «Lost causes in theoretical physics» by R. F. Streater and was heavily criticised by others).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This paper might help
W. T. Grandy, ‘‘Resource letter ITP-1: Information theory in physics,’’
Am. J. Phys. 65, 466–476, 1997