1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does thermal radiation occur within a material?

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing an assignment with multiple heat transfers, and have to investigate the effects of including thermal radiation vs saying that thermal radiation is negligible. I know that the equation for thermal radiation is

q = A*σ*(T14 - T24) (*)

In my case the equation is slightly more complicated since I am looking at concentric cylinders, but the equation itself is not what I am hung up on.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that radiation will occur between two black/grey bodies. If there are two metal plates near each others, and one is hot, the heat will radiate to the cold plate using the relationship above. What I am unsure of is whether thermal radiation occurs within a material itself. As in, should one apply eqn (*) in a scenario where there is only one metal plate, and one wants to look at the temperature difference across that individual plate.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I currently think that one does not account for radiation within a single material, as most of the literature/textbooks I have looked at describe thermal radiation between two black/grey bodies. I have not learned about thermal radiation in my classes though before, so I am not confident in making this assumption.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted