1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivites between two dissimilar metals

1. Feb 13, 2017 #1
    Thermo%2Bproblem.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been failing to find examples dealing with "longitudinal" thermal conductivity and how two objects in contact with each other would affect the heat flow compared to not being in contact at all.

Problem: Given the following information, determine the thermal energy at 1 meter from the heat source for material X for the two cases 1) Where material X is not contact with material Y 2) Where material X and Y are in contact as shown. For both cases, first assume materials are in vacuum, then assume there are in ambient air at STP (273 K).

2. Relevant equations
    Thermal Conductivity
    X: 2,000 W/(m K)
    Y: 50 W/(m K)

d1 = 0.00001 m
    d2 = 1 m

Heat Source
    q = 100 W

Heat Transfer Coefficient
    Air: 10 W/(m^2 K)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I am struggling with is whether the conduction between X and Y would essentially "shorten" the conduction of material X itself. I am also unsure if thermal radiation would come into play. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Series resistance" versus "parallel?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted