Does This Answer Make Sense (basic EM)

• Thread starter ZenOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em
In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential and field at a point on the x-axis located 1 m to the left of the left end of a plastic rod with a non-uniform charge density. The equation V=kc*integral(dx) is used to find the potential, but the answer given by the teacher is incorrect. The thread provided may offer some clarification.
ZenOne

Homework Statement

The plastic rod of the length L=1 m has a non-uniform charge density λ=cx
where positive constant c =2x10-6 [some unit]. What unit does c have? Find the electric
potential at the point on the x-axis 1 m to the left from the left end of the rod. Find the
electric field at that point as well, preferably via potential.

Homework Equations

V=k*integral(cdx)

The Attempt at a Solution

V=kc*integral(dx)-----V=kcx------V=17980V

Is it just me or is this completely wrong? This is not my solution--it's my teacher and I was under the impression that the integral would end up being (with d=end of rod to point P):

V=kc*integral(x/d+x)-----V=kc[L-d(ln)(1+L/d)]

He ttok his limits of integration as L to L+1, however, in the book it says it should be from 0 to L (even though that doesn't really affect the answer). It is his integration I do not agree with.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is basic EM?

Basic EM, or basic electromagnetic theory, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter. It is the foundation for understanding many important phenomena in nature, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. Why is understanding basic EM important?

Understanding basic EM is important because it helps us to comprehend and manipulate the world around us. It is essential in fields such as engineering, electronics, and telecommunications. It also forms the basis for more advanced concepts in physics, like quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. How does basic EM relate to everyday life?

Basic EM is present in many aspects of our daily lives. It is the force that allows our electronic devices, such as phones and computers, to function. It also plays a role in the generation of electricity, the functioning of household appliances, and the transmission of radio and television signals.

4. Can basic EM be applied in other fields besides physics?

Yes, basic EM has many practical applications in other fields. It is used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI scans, to create detailed images of the human body. It is also used in materials science to study the properties of different materials, and in geology to study the Earth's magnetic field.

5. Is basic EM a complex concept to understand?

Basic EM can be a complex concept for those who are not familiar with physics or mathematics. However, with proper explanation and practice, it can be understood by anyone. It is important to have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry to fully grasp the concepts of basic EM.