Electric Potential Over Non-Uniform Rod

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential at point P1 on the axis of a thin plastic rod with nonuniform linear charge density. The solution involves setting up an integral and solving for V, with the given length and charge density values.
Haptic9504

Homework Statement

The thin plastic rod shown in the figure has length L = 18.0 cm and a nonuniform linear charge density λ = cx, where c = 14.5 pC/m2. With V = 0 at infinity, find the electric potential at point P1 on the axis, at distance d = 5.10 cm from one end.

Figure is attached.

Homework Equations

[tex]q= \lambda x \\
\lambda = cx \\
dv = (kdq)/r[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]q= \lambda x \\
dq = \lambda dx \\
dq = cxdx[/tex]

I figured you would just use
[tex]v =kc \int_{0}^{L}[x/(x+d)]dx[/tex]
And plug in L, solving for V, in which I get -0.17V, which is flagged as incorrect.

Am I approaching this correctly or is there something I am missing?

Attachments

• fig24_43.gif
    fig24_43.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,142
Physics news on Phys.org
The setup for the integral looks okay. You'll have to show details of how you solved the integral.

This can be closed, I just integrated incorrectly.

1. What is electric potential over a non-uniform rod?

Electric potential over a non-uniform rod is the measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point along the rod. It takes into account the varying electric field strength and distance along the rod.

2. How is electric potential calculated over a non-uniform rod?

The electric potential over a non-uniform rod can be calculated using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge on the rod, and r is the distance from the point to the rod.

3. What factors affect the electric potential over a non-uniform rod?

The electric potential over a non-uniform rod is affected by the charge on the rod, the distance from the point to the rod, and the shape and distribution of charge along the rod.

4. How does the electric potential change along a non-uniform rod?

The electric potential over a non-uniform rod typically decreases as the distance from the rod increases. However, if the charge distribution on the rod is not uniform, the electric potential may vary in a non-linear manner.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric potential over non-uniform rods?

Electric potential over non-uniform rods is important in understanding and designing electrical circuits, as well as in studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It is also relevant in fields such as electrochemistry, plasma physics, and materials science.