Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Water Break Down/Rot?(Chemistry Ignorant)

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I know embarrassingly little about

chemistry. I'm just curious as to whether water breaks down or not: if one leaves

out, e.g., a piece of bread , within a few days, the bread will become moldy, i.e.,

it will start breaking down (same thing will happen even if bread is refrigerated, only

slower). Yet, it seems, when one leaves out a glass of water, that this water does

not break down, at least not in a way similar to, e.g., that of the bread. I guess this

has to see with the strength of the bonds between the molecules , maybe with entropy

in a more general sense (and I know of this in only very general terms). I guess water

is chemically very simple, having two hydrogens and one oxygen, still, I know next to

nothing about the strength of the link/bond between the hydrogens and the water. Is

this the explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Water molecule is very stable, which makes it one of the preferred products in chemical reactions. Especially when you deal with large organic molecules.

This is overgeneralized, plenty of counterexamples - still, I think it should point you in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook