Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a Minor Presentation of Parity/Chirality

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hello all.

I'm doing a small presentation on Chirality in my Chemistry class. As the teacher knows I'm really more of a physics/math kid, he said it was okay if I did my presentation on chirality in physics instead of the molecular stuff most people are doing. I knew a bunch before, and I've done some research since, but I was hoping you guys could tell me whether the gist of my 'presentation' is accurate enough.

Here it is, and this is the shortened version of course:
    One of the big questions I have is that, knowing my audience, is it okay to ignore helicity and just talk about Chirality (eschewing the two together a bit)? I know it'll confuse everyone by trying to explain the difference between the two and I'd rather avoid that.

In general I want to make sure that a) I'm on target and b) I'm not oversimplifying.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully for helping me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    First of all, thank you very much for that link; it was a really interesting read.

As for the rest of my little blurb, would it be within reason to say more or less what I'd said previously, but instead of ending where I did talk about some of the ways molecular Chirality plays a part in molecular formation?

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think that's ok. After all, helicity and chirality become equal for massless particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook