Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a research on aberrations in order to

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am doing a research on aberrations in order to prepare a presentation. I looked at Optics, Hecht and Introduction to Optics, Pedrotti; however, I think they use different conventions for aberrations. Is there an established standard for aberrations(I heard the name Seidel)? I also wonder what the third order aberration means; is it sine expanded to include angle cubed or the aberrations are written up to 3rd order of the aperture diameter for example. I am pretty confused about this topic and in need of a good resource which will guide me and possibly derive some of the aberration formulas explaining each one in detail. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    Re: Aberrations

It is very complex topic. There is so many good books like for example Rudolf Kingslake Lens Design Fundamentals - in that book you will find detail derivation of all kinds of aberrations.

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3

Thanks for your reply; I looked at that book but found it kind of confusing. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Seidel aberrations are referred to as 'third order' because the expansion sin(q) = q + q^3/3! + q^5/5!+... has a third-order polynomial after the paraxial sin(q) ~ q approximation. There are 7 third order aberrations (piston, tilt, spherical, coma, petvzal, distortion, astigmatism), a bunch of 5th order, 7th order, etc.

Alternatively, the wavefront aberration is written in terms of Zernike polynomials- mapping a Zernike coefficient with a Seidel aberration is not possible, but there are ways to convert one to the other.

A good resource (free, etc.) is the MIL-HDBK 141 (Optical Design)

http://www.optics.arizona.edu/ot/opti502/MIL_HDBK_141.html [Broken]

3rd order aberrations are in Chapter 8.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Mar 14, 2012 #5

Thanks you I will take a look at that.

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6

I need to derive the third order spherical aberration formula for a thin lens which consists of two refracting surfaces how can I do so? I am attaching an image file containing the formula at the bottom of the page. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

• ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook