Doing a theoretical physics degree from home UK only please

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a theoretical/astrophysics degree from home, and the concerns about employability and the perception of a degree from a distance learning institution. It also mentions the challenges faced by individuals with agoraphobia and other special circumstances, and the suggestion of looking into the Open University for their support and available degree options.
tashalustig
Is there any point in doing a theoretical/astrophysics degree from home, even if you are able to achieve exceptionally good grades, what about people who are agoraphobic and can't get to a uni?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you plan on doing with the degree? No matter how good your grades are, employers aren't going to hire someone who's not going to show up.

i know what your saying at the moment it is doing the degree itself obviously and i would like to go down the phd route and do research. I'm not actually agoraphobic but i was wondering what happens to those who are if they just deal with not having an education. I have an ill family member who i look after all the time so can't leave the house for the next few years for hours at a time. But in 2 years when my brother has finished his degree he will be taking over in the care.

Have you looked into the Open University? They are probably your best bet, and they will go out of their way to provide help for people in special circumstances.

Thank you! yes i have just worried it will be seen as a 'lesser' degree if you understand what i mean?

But the OU have been more than helpful and do have an astrophysics degree

1. What is a theoretical physics degree?

A theoretical physics degree is an academic program that focuses on the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, including the laws of motion, energy, and matter. Students in this degree learn to apply mathematical and theoretical models to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. Can I complete a theoretical physics degree from home in the UK?

Yes, it is possible to complete a theoretical physics degree from home in the UK. Many universities offer online or distance learning programs for this degree, allowing students to study and complete coursework from their own homes.

3. What are the benefits of studying for a theoretical physics degree from home in the UK?

Studying for a theoretical physics degree from home in the UK offers several benefits, including flexibility in scheduling, the ability to study at your own pace, and the opportunity to save money on commuting and housing expenses. It also allows you to balance your studies with other commitments, such as work or family responsibilities.

4. What qualifications do I need to enroll in a theoretical physics degree program?

Most universities require students to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a high school diploma or equivalent, to enroll in a theoretical physics degree program. Some universities may also have specific requirements for grades or standardized test scores.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a theoretical physics degree?

Graduates with a theoretical physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, technology, and finance. They may also pursue careers in engineering, data analysis, or science communication. With a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, theoretical physics graduates are highly sought after in many industries.