Don't quite understand question

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
In summary, the level set \{f=1\} can be solved as x=x(y,z) near (0,0,0) using the implicit function theorem. We can define the function X(y,z) to be 1-y-z, which satisfies the condition that F(y,z)=f(X(y,z),y,z)=1 for all (y,z) in a region D around (0,0,0). This can be seen by taking an example of f(x,y,z)=x+y+z and setting f=1, which results in X(y,z)=1-y-z and F(y,z)=1. This can be applied to find the partial derivatives \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} (0
JG89
Question: Let [tex] f: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] be given by [tex] f(x,y,z) = sin(xyz) + e^{2x + y(z-1)} [/tex]. Show that the level set [tex] \{ f = 1 \} [/tex] can be solved as [tex] x = x(y,z) [/tex] near [tex] (0,0,0) [/tex] and compute [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} (0,0) [/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} (0,0,0) [/tex].

I don't understand this question. I know what the level set is. It will be the set of points (x,y,z) such that f(x,y,z) = 1. I don't understand what they mean by, show that the level set can be solved as x = x(y,z) near (0,0,0). Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, if f(x,y,z)=1, the implicit function theorem says that in some region D in the (y,z)-domain around a solution vector [tex](x_{0},y_{0},z_{0})[/tex], we may define a function X(y,z), so that within D, the function F(y,z)=f(X(y,z),y,z)=1 for ALL (y,z) in D.

To take an example.

1. Let f(x,y,z)=x+y+z

Set f=1.

We now define: X(y,z)=1-y-z

Note that we then have:
F(y,z)=f(X(y,z),y,z)=(1-y-z)+y+z=1, irrespective of the values of (y,z).

This holds, for example, in some neighbourhood of the point (1,0,0).

1. What does "don't quite understand question" mean?

"Don't quite understand question" is a phrase commonly used to express confusion or uncertainty about a question that has been asked.

2. Why would someone say "don't quite understand question" instead of just asking for clarification?

There could be a few reasons why someone might use this phrase instead of asking for clarification. It could be a polite way of indicating confusion, or the person may not want to admit that they don't understand the question. It could also be used as a way to buy time to think about the question before responding.

3. How can I respond if someone says "don't quite understand question" to me?

If someone says this to you, the best way to respond is by rephrasing or clarifying your question to make it easier for them to understand. You can also break down the question into smaller parts or provide more context to help them better understand what you are asking.

4. Is it rude to say "don't quite understand question"?

It is not necessarily rude, but it could come across as dismissive or uninterested. It is important to be mindful of the tone and context in which you use this phrase. It is always better to ask for clarification directly if you do not understand a question.

5. Can "don't quite understand question" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a professional setting, but it is important to use it carefully and sparingly. It is always best to ask for clarification directly, but if you must use this phrase, make sure to do so politely and provide a valid reason for not understanding the question.