Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't understand critical part of derivation in textbook.

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    I've been working my way through Intro to Electrodynamics (Griffiths), and in Chapter 3, one of the derivations comes out to

∫sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) sin(n'[itex]\pi[/itex]y/a) dy ={ 0 if n'[itex]\neq[/itex]n
    a/2 if n'=n

where the function is integrated from 0 to a.

I assume there is some logical interpretation that allows me to reduce the answer down to just those two cases, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how. He skips over it as if it were trivial. Maybe it is supposed to be, but I didn't have any issues with all of the PDE's, so I find it frustrating that this is causing such a gap in my understanding.

If it is of any help, that answer I got is :

(an*sin([itex]\pi[/itex]m)cos([itex]\pi[/itex]n)-am*cos([itex]\pi[/itex]m)sin([itex]\pi[/itex]n)
    /([itex]\pi[/itex](m^2-n^2))

edit: if anyone has the book, it is possible that I'm just no seeing a previous relation that simplifies this, so it may help to look

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

$$\sin a\sin b=\frac{1}{2}\left(\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b)\right)\Longrightarrow\int_0^a\sin\frac{n\pi y}{a}\sin\frac{n'\pi y}{a}\,dy\Longrightarrow\frac{1}{2}\int_0^a\left(\cos\left[(n-n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]-cos\left[(n+n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right) dy=$$

$$=\left.\frac{1}{2}\frac{a}{(n-n')\pi}\sin\left[(n-n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right|_0^a-\left.\frac{1}{2}\frac{a}{(n+n')\pi}\sin\left[(n+n')\frac{\pi y}{a}\right]\right|_0^a=0\,\,\,,\,\text{if}\,\,\,n\neq n'$$

since we get to evaluate above the function sine in integer multiples of [itex]\,\pi\,[/itex].

OTOH, if [itex]\,n=n'\,[/itex] , then we get:

$$\int_0^a\sin^2\frac{n\pi y}{a}dy=\left.\frac{a}{2\pi n}\left(\frac{n\pi y}{a}-\sin \frac{n\pi y}{a}\cos\frac{n\pi y}{a}\right)\right|_0^a=\frac{a}{2\pi n}(n\pi)=\frac{a}{2}$$

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize that you were supposed to redo the entire integral after substituting for n' = n. I thought you were supposed to be able to infer the answer from the result of the first calculation. Thank you, the first 2/3 of your work looks very similar to mine.

kind of feel like a dufus, but I don't think I'd have ever though of that solution

5. Dec 2, 2012 #4
    It would have been really helpful if you had provided the full reference to Griffiths.

However I always cringe when posters bring this book up it seems to generate more than its share of queries.

I assume you are trying to proceed from equations 3.30 / 3.31 page 130.

Here is an extended derivation.

Apply the boundary condition V=1 at x=0.

[tex]1 = {C_1}\sin \frac{{\pi y}}{a} + {C_2}\sin \frac{{2\pi y}}{a} + {C_3}\sin \frac{{3\pi y}}{a}.........[/tex]

This is a standard Fourier sine series which may be treated as follows

Consider the Fourier sine expansion of f(by)

[tex]f(by) = {a_1}\sin by + {a_2}\sin 2by + {a_3}\sin 3by...... + {a_n}\sin nby[/tex]

Where the an are given by

[tex]{a_{{n_n}}} = \frac{2}{\pi }\int\limits_0^\pi {f(by)\sin n(by)} d(by)[/tex]

In this series if f(by) = 1 then

[tex]{a_n} = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
    {\frac{4}{{n\pi }},\;n\;odd} \\
    {0,\;n\;even} \\
    \end{array}} \right][/tex]

and

[tex]f(by) = 1 = \frac{4}{\pi }\left( {\sin by + \frac{1}{3}\sin 3by + \frac{1}{5}\sin 5by.....} \right)[/tex]

Comparing this with the original series above leads to

[tex]{C_1} = \frac{4}{\pi },\quad {C_2} = 0,\quad {C_3} = \frac{4}{{3\pi }},\quad {C_4} = 0,\quad {C_5} = \frac{4}{{5\pi }}[/tex]

Does this help?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Dec 2, 2012 #5
    It does help, though this is later in the derivation. Sorry I didn't include the full reference.

The part that was giving me grief has been dealt with. I appreciate the extra info on the Fourier bit though. I still need to get more comfortable with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook