What is the current time on the Doomsday Clock?

• News
  • Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists has set the "Doomsday Clock" to 2 1/2 minutes to midnight, with the only other time it being closer being in 1953 after the first H-bomb was detonated. They have released a PDF explaining their reasoning, which includes the threats of nuclear war and climate change. However, the conversation also includes the opinion that climate change may not have the same catastrophic effects as a nuclear war, and that the clock may have "jumped the shark" by including it in their assessment. The conversation also touches upon the potential connections between climate change and conflicts such as the Syrian civil war, and the potential for another world war in the future.
There are always "reports". The question is by who? But news is not science. Knowing a variety of reports doesn't hurt, but then again it can be confusing sometimes.

Physics news on Phys.org
There must be someone. It would indeed be really helpful!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Stavros Kiri said:
There must be someone. It would indeed be really helpful!
Helpful to whom? Nuclear weapons experts don't make online blog posts about nuclear weapons.

Some public information is available about nuclear EMP from the atmospheric tests decades ago. Starfish Prime was a 1.3 *megaton* test. It was detonated above the atmosphere some 900 miles from Hawaii, and knocked out a few streetlights there. N. Korea's weapons are widely reported as some *one thousand times* less powerful, and there are no reports that NK has any path to the thermal nuclear technology required for megaton yields.
Draw your own conclusions as to why NK would risk its own destruction in a feeble EMP attempt as opposed to destroying a city from a ground detonation of a Hiroshima sized weapon in a shipping container.

There is much publicly available information on nuclear weapons, including formerly classified material which has been declassified. This is part of US government policy. The following page contains information on this policy. Of course the policy may change.

https://www.osti.gov/opennet/forms.jsp?formurl=document/press/pc26.html

Here are some more links on EMP. Personally, I have no opinion about it. I'm just collecting information.

http://www.nipp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EMP-Paper-Final-November07.pdf

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/print/volume-25/issue-6/technology-focus/rad-hard-moves-into-the-submicron-age.html

http://www.eei.org/issuesandpolicy/cybersecurity/Documents/Electromagnetic%20Pulses%20(EMPs)%20-%20Myths%20vs.%20Facts.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep said:
Helpful to whom?
Helpful to our knowledge + interesting. That's what I meant.

gleem said:
Garbage. I completely disregard any question that asks me to quantify my feelings on some scale. It was silly of me to mention a public poll you cannot even trust political polls. What does anybody's perception have to do with reality except perhaps lead to irrational behavior.
People act and react based on their perception of the situation, not on the reality of it.

WWGD said:
People act and react based on their perception of the situation, not on the reality of it.
I agree here seems to be a good example from the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39911530
The figures with regards altitude distance and speed don't add up "well to me they don't" if anyone could explain them I would be grate full.
Quote:-
The nature of the launch is still being determined, but analysts have said the test could suggest a longer range than previously tested devices.

The Japanese defence minister said it flew for about 30 minutes before falling in the Sea of Japan and could be a new type of missile.

Tomomi Inada said it covered a distance of about 700km (435 miles), reaching an altitude of more than 2,000km (1,245 miles) - higher than that reached by an intermediate-range missile North Korea fired in February.

Experts quoted by Reuters say the altitude meant the missile was launched at a high trajectory, limiting the lateral distance it travelled. They say if it had been fired at a standard trajectory, it would have had a range of at least 4,000km.

I'm basically off social media but I wanted to check in just to see what the brilliant people on PF have to say these days about the doomsday clock.

I used to be all about peace and avoiding nuclear war at all costs. Now I'm less hopeful and I'm all about survival skills and mastering my favorite assault rifle. When I'm not doing that, I'm thinking about where I would like to be buried if I never make it to my secret bunker, and there is anything left to bury.

Now on a technical note, I assume calculations are being made as we speak about how much nuclear weaponry would be needed to obliterate the DPRK infrastructure in 15 minutes. Some General mentioned launching thousands of cruise missiles, but how many of those would have nukes? Do we even have thousands of cruise missiles right now?

Another technical note: I listened to a radio program today in which a man who visited an ICBM launching facility said they are still using floppy disks. But he said not to worry, the equipment is old, but they keep on using it because it works. I just hope those old floppies are backed up. I bought some flash drives recently at Fry's. The price is very low and they seem reliable. As a matter of fact, I accidentally left a flash drive in my jeans and ran them through the washer and dryer. It seemed to do no harm at all to the flash drive.

Now as for the doomsday clock, I have no idea what is going to happen. Would sending lots of "fire, fury, and frankly power, of a type the world has not yet seen" make us less safe, or more safe? I think the answer is not obvious. I think I would feel more safe. I also think my opinion is worth just as much as that of the experts who came up with the doomsday clock idea in the first place.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I'm basically off social media but I wanted to check in just to see what the brilliant people on PF have to say these days about the doomsday clock.

Yes, thanks for asking. I am one of the brilliant people of PF and I will respond to your comment.

Please refer to my post #3 in this thread. Coincidentally, I actually had a discussion on the subject with my lab group on this subject this morning, seeing all the news hype around the North Korea thing.

http://thebulletin.org/clock/2017

This morning I recounted to the group a moment in time, probably circa 2004 or so when I was running a business in Seattle and playing fast and loose with the law in order to maximize our profits. We weren't technically doing anything illegal (as far as I knew), but we really weren't doing much research into whether it was legal, if you know what I mean :wink:

So, there was this one point where I had a serious talk with a business colleague who was older and wiser than me that warned me, and these were his exact words, "Just because something bad hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean that something bad is not going to happen." That kind of hit me, impactly, at the time, and has stayed with me.

Meaning, don't get too comfy with precedent. Nukes are a two-edged sword. Their existence has probably saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives over the last 70 years in their deterrent of other worldwide conflicts, but the proliferation of "nuclear states" is daunting.

I love science fiction, but whenever I hear people talk of "where will we be in the 22nd century or the third millennium, or even 2050, all I can think about is this is wishful thinking, there's no way we as a (human) species are going to make it to 2100. This is perhaps one of the main reasons I do what I do. I love our species and don't want to see it go extinct. The best hope for that is to create machines in our own image and send them off through the galaxy.

Don't worry, nothing will happen (IMO), perhaps just a new cold war, which basically means nothing ... or positive!
DiracPool said:
Nukes are a two-edged sword. Their existence has probably saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives over the last 70 years in their deterrent of other worldwide conflicts,
Regarding:
DiracPool said:
there's no way we as a (human) species are going to make it to 2100.
I strongly disagree! "We will make it! ... we always have! ...".
Or at least for another millennium or so ... (IMO).
DiracPool said:
The best hope for that is to create machines in our own image and send them off through the galaxy.
Machines is not the only solution. We are! ...
We just have to improve our species in all possible ways ... starting with ourselves!
Machines in our own current image will be bound to do or reproduce the same things we have ... over and over again. And being attached to war thinking and habbits is something that really has to change ... if we really want to survive. But I think, we'll survive anyway! We might as well then do it peacefully ... It's easier and much less painful! ...

Because if we don't survive, something very much more valuable (than just local, partial etc. interests and profits) will get lost: real consciousness and intelligence. Artificial Intelligence (AI) simply won't be the same.

Likes russ_watters
This has become about specific politics, posts have been deleted, thread closed.