How to slow down a battery wall clock from the 1960's

In summary: Both sewing machine oil and gun oil are often claimed to not get gummy with age, however that is not true of the ones I've used! They are better than many oils, but I have used both oils on both devices and they do end up as a gummy semi-solid over time. Perhaps there is a deposit of gummy oil stiffening up the balance spring making it oscillate faster?It's possible that the oil is preventing the gummy build-up and causing the clock to run more slowly.
John1397
I have 2 new battery operated clocks that have been lying on the shelf for 50 years never used them both run after I oiled them, they have a motor that winds up a spring and the a little spring that goes around in circle one end fastened to shaft the outside end to a fixed point this rocks back and forth to keep time only problem is they gain about 5 minutes in one hour the adjustment for faster and slower is not nearly enough to make any difference what would make it run slower would it be shorten the spring to make it tighter? I wonder if these clocks where ever accurate when made they are General Electric made in 1968.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just curious, what time error do you get with the adjuster in the slowest and fastest settings? Photo of the spring mass system?

It doesn't even hardly make any difference.

Is it possible that modern batteries put out a slightly higher voltage than those use 50 years ago? I know that I sometime measure "1.5v" batteries and get 1.65 volts when they are new.

Photo

Attachments

• 0624181640_Burst01.jpg
    0624181640_Burst01.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 464
  • 0624181638_Burst01.jpg
    0624181638_Burst01.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 459
  • 0624181638a_Burst01.jpg
    0624181638a_Burst01.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 476
John1397 said:
I wonder if these clocks where ever accurate when made they are General Electric made in 1968.
Blasphmy ! :smile:

GE made superior products back when "made in American" actually MEANT made in America

The adjusting mechanism I think effectively changes the spring constant of the spiral spring attached to the rotating "wheel". If you study how the adjusting mechanism works you might be able to shorten the spring a bit. Maybe over 50 years the spring has corroded a bit and lost a bit of its stiffness? I would be surprised if the adjusting mechanism was working properly and could not change the clocks rate by more than a couple minutes an hour. Are the clocks valuable?

phinds said:
Is it possible that modern batteries put out a slightly higher voltage than those use 50 years ago? I know that I sometime measure "1.5v" batteries and get 1.65 volts when they are new.
That shouldn't matter. It sounds like these clocks use a balance wheel in order to keep them accurate ( the same method is used in wind up clocks to make sure the they tick at a constant rate as the tension on the mainspring decreases.). The adjuster is designed to slide up and down the balance spring in order to change the resonant frequency.
A five min per hour gain is pretty extreme, and likely outside the normal adjustment range.

Likes phinds
I agree with @Janus, the photos look like a standard balance wheel/escapement mechanism used in wind-up clocks and watches.

Did you get any oil on the hair-spring? That's the spring the adjuster is connected to. If so, clean it off gently, the springs are delicate. The torn edge a of facial tissue or toilet tissue should soak it up if needed.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Tom

The way that looks I would expect the battery to be used to automatically wind the spring. Is this the case?

Averagesupernova said:
The way that looks I would expect the battery to be used to automatically wind the spring. Is this the case?
See post #1

phinds said:
See post #1
Now how did I miss that? o:)

Averagesupernova said:
Now how did I miss that? o:)
Well, I think we all read posts a bit too quickly sometimes. Anyway I know I do. :smile:

Likes Averagesupernova
One reference I ran across indicated that lubrication problems with the escapement pivot can cause a clock to speed up. In that respect, did flush the pivots, bearings, etc to remove any old lubricants before lubricating the clock; and, what type of lubricant did you use to lubricate the clock. Any lubricant other than one made specifically for clock escapement and wheel pivots could be too viscous and cause a problem.

Likes Tom.G
I dumped on sewing machine oil every where thought it should have as it did not run.

John1397 said:
I dumped on sewing machine oil every where thought it should have as it did not run.
I always had good luck with that on a cuckoo clock.

JBA said:
Any lubricant other than one made specifically for clock escapement and wheel pivots could be too viscous and cause a problem.
That's good advice to pay attention to.

Both sewing machine oil and gun oil are often claimed to not get gummy with age, however that is not true of the ones I've used! They are better than many oils, but I have used both oils on both devices and they do end up as a gummy semi-solid over time.

Perhaps there is a deposit of gummy oil stiffening up the balance spring making it oscillate faster?

Perhaps the spring itself has aged or oxidised to a stiffer condition?

What kind of oil did you use? Clocks should use only oils that leave no residue when dried. Whale oil in the old days.

1. How do I slow down a battery wall clock from the 1960's?

To slow down a battery wall clock from the 1960's, you will need to adjust the pendulum or the balance wheel, depending on the type of clock you have. This can usually be done by turning a small knob or screw located on the back of the clock.

2. Why is my battery wall clock from the 1960's running too fast?

There are a few possible reasons why your battery wall clock from the 1960's may be running too fast. One common reason is that the battery may be low or dying, causing the clock to run faster as it loses power. Another reason could be that the clock's mechanism needs to be cleaned and oiled, as dirt and debris can cause it to run faster than normal.

3. Can I use a different type of battery to slow down my clock?

No, you should always use the type of battery recommended by the manufacturer for your specific clock. Using a different type of battery can damage the clock's mechanism and may not effectively slow down the clock.

4. How often should I adjust my battery wall clock from the 1960's?

It is recommended to adjust your battery wall clock from the 1960's every 6-12 months, or whenever you notice it running too fast or too slow. This will keep the clock running accurately and prevent any potential damage to the mechanism.

5. Why is it important to slow down a battery wall clock from the 1960's instead of just replacing the battery?

Replacing the battery may temporarily fix the issue, but it can also throw off the mechanism and cause it to run too fast or too slow in the future. It is important to properly adjust the clock's mechanism to ensure accurate timekeeping and prevent any potential damage to the clock.