Doping in semicondctors (n type)

In summary, the reason group 15 elements share the same conduction band as silicon atoms is because the valence band of these elements is closer to the conduction band of silicon, making it easier for electrons from the valence band to jump into the conduction band. This is also due to the fact that in n type extrinsic semiconductors, the atoms of silicon are doped with group 15 elements to increase the number of valence electrons. The overall crystal structure plays a role in the conduction band, rather than individual atoms.
Avalon_18
TL;DR Summary
why do group 15 share the same conduction band as the silicon atoms.
Summary: why do group 15 share the same conduction band as the silicon atoms.

In a n type extrinsic semiconductors the atoms of silicon are doped with the atoms of a gr15 element to increase the number of valance electrons in the semiconductor. But the reason given to me by my teacher and what I've seen online is that the valance band of the gr15 elements is closer to the valance band of the silicon atoms, making it easier for the electrons form the valance band of the gr15 atom to jump to the conduction band with minimal amount of energy. But why is it that the gr 15 element used has the same energy level for the conduction band as the silicon atoms.
Is it possible that the presence of the silicon atoms has an effect on the conduction band of the element.

Physics news on Phys.org
The conduction band is always the result of the overall crystal, not individual atoms. The energy levels of an element as pure crystal are very different from the behavior of atoms of that element when in another element.
Avalon_18 said:
Summary: why do group 15 share the same conduction band as the silicon atoms.

But the reason given to me by my teacher and what I've seen online is that the valance band of the gr15 elements is closer to the valance band of the silicon atoms, making it easier for the electrons form the valance band of the gr15 atom to jump to the conduction band with minimal amount of energy.
You mean "closer to the conduction band"? Otherwise the sentence is inconsistent.

(valence with e, by the way)

Likes Avalon_18
Avalon_18 said:
In a n type extrinsic semiconductors the atoms of silicon are doped with the atoms of a gr15 element to increase the number of valance electrons in the semiconductor.

That's what makes it n type!

But the reason given to me by my teacher and what I've seen online is that the valance band of the gr15 elements is closer to the valance band of the silicon atoms, making it easier for the electrons form the valance band of the gr15 atom to jump to the conduction band with minimal amount of energy.

Both explanations seem correct. You have more electrons and those electrons don't need a lot of energy to make it up to the valence band. Both factors are going to contribute to a larger number of electrons in the conduction band.

What is doping in semiconductors (n type)?

Doping in semiconductors is the process of intentionally introducing impurities into a semiconductor material to modify its electrical properties. In n type doping, the impurities added are elements with more valence electrons than the semiconductor material, creating an excess of negative charge carriers (electrons).

What are the most commonly used dopants in n type semiconductors?

The most commonly used dopants in n type semiconductors are elements from group V of the periodic table, such as phosphorus, arsenic, and antimony. These elements have five valence electrons, which allows them to easily donate an extra electron to the semiconductor material.

How does n type doping affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

N type doping increases the conductivity of a semiconductor by introducing an excess of negative charge carriers (electrons). This allows for the flow of electric current through the material, making it a better conductor.

What is the purpose of n type doping in semiconductor devices?

N type doping is used in semiconductor devices to create regions of differing electrical properties, such as p-n junctions. This allows for the creation of diodes, transistors, and other electronic components that are essential in modern technology.

What are the potential drawbacks of n type doping in semiconductors?

One potential drawback of n type doping is the creation of defects and impurities in the semiconductor material, which can decrease its overall efficiency and performance. Additionally, n type doping can also lead to increased power consumption in devices due to the excess of charge carriers.