1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot/Cross product vector problem.

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2zyd9qh.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I have the whole thing drawn out, and calculated some information that will be needed.

[itex]|A|=7.92[/itex]
    [itex]|B|=8.28[/itex]

I am assuming that the question means that vector C is perpendicular with vector A, meaning, there is 90 degrees between them.

a.) Find the x component of C

It says that the scalar product of C and B is 13, so I am guessing that means I have to know the angle between those two vectors. Which would be the angle between B and A minus 90 degrees right?

How do I find the angle between B and A ?

Alright, so:
    [tex]A\bullet B = (4.8)(-3.9)+(-6.3)(7.3)[/tex]
    [tex]A\bullet B = -64.71[/tex]
    and since [itex]A\bullet B = |A||B|cos(\theta)[/itex]
    [tex]|A||B|cos(\theta) = -64.71[/tex]

[tex]cos(\theta) = \frac{-64.71}{(7.92)(8.28)}[/tex]
    [tex]\theta = 170.67 degrees[/tex]

Then the angle between B and C is 80.67 degrees, which looks about right.

So then, the scalar/dot product of C and B is:
    [tex]C \bullet B = |8.28||C|cos(80.67) = 13[/tex]
    [tex]|C| = \frac{13}{cos(80.67)|8.28|}[/tex]
    [tex]|C| = 9.68[/tex]

Now what?
    I don't see how the components of C are coming out of this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that the scalar product of C and B is 13 also means that CxBx + CyBy = 13 (by the definition of scalar product). Does that help at all?

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    I was thinking of that but then I would still be stuck with two unknowns.
    [tex]C_{x}(-3.9)+C_{y}(7.3)=13[/tex]

but you probably said that for a reason (thanks) so I will look for a second system perhaps.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, but you also know that C is perpendicular to A, which should give you a second equation involving Cx and Cy. Two equations and two unknowns ==> an exact solution can be found.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    Hmm,

I found the angle from the positive x-axis to A to be -52.67 degrees (used arctan on vector A's components).

If the angle between C and A is 90, then the angle between C and the positive x-axis must be 90-|-52.67| = 37.33

Since I know |C| = 9.68 I could just get the x/y components of vector C right there?

I get:
    [tex]C_{x} = 7.69[/tex]
    [tex]C_{y} = 5.87[/tex]
    Does that seem right? (Edit: No, it's not right at all, ugh. Looking in to cepheid's solution)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If two vectors are perpendicular, then their dot product is zero. You can see this just by noting that cos(90°) = 0, but it's also helpful to understand the geometric argument. Recall that when you're taking the dot product of A and B, you sort of "project" A onto B by drawing a line starting from the tip of A that is perpendicular to A and extend it until it lands on B. This marks out the component of A that is in the same direction as B. So the dot product can be interpreted as the magnitude of B multiplied by the component of A that is in the direction of B.

However, if the two vectors are perpendicular, then there is NO component of A that is in the direction of B. When you draw a line from the tip of A perpendicular to A, it never intersects B.

In any case, the dot product being zero gives you your second equation involving the x and y components.

8. Sep 7, 2011 #7
    Ah that's right. Sorry, I'm kind of teaching myself ahead of the course some).

My two systems of equations are:

-3.9x + 7.3y = 13
    4.8x - 6.3y = 0

x=-1.3739
    y= 1.047

Which both to two significant digits, is still incorrect?
    x=-1.4
    y= 1.1

9. Sep 7, 2011 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I get different answers. My strategy was to use the lower equation to solve for x in terms of y, and plug that expression for x into the upper equation in order to solve for y. Once you have y, you have x.

10. Sep 7, 2011 #9
    Yes, definitely made a mistake on the system of equations.

The proper answer was x=7.8 and y=6.0 (to 2 s.f.)

I sure made that one more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

11. Sep 7, 2011 #10

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're welcome! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook