Dot product between cross products

In summary, the equation given is (axb) . (cxd) = |a.c b.c||a.d b.d| and it involves the distribution law. The right side is a determinant of a matrix that can be proven using the Levi-Civita symbol and the cross product, but it can also be solved without using the symbol.
quietrain

Homework Statement

show (axb) . (cxd) =
|a.c b.c|
|a.d b.d|

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea. i don't know if the lines at the side are modulus lines or matrix brackets

but it seems that it has something to do with distribution law.

but i can't start proving if i don't even understand what the right hand side of the equation is ><

thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Right side is a determinant of this matrix. It's not so hard to prove, you could in example use Levi-Civita symbol to write your cross product, it goes in 3 steps afterwards.

irycio said:
Right side is a determinant of this matrix. It's not so hard to prove, you could in example use Levi-Civita symbol to write your cross product, it goes in 3 steps afterwards.

oh i have done it. but i didn't use that symbol? thanks anyway!

Well, you don't have to use it, that's just my favourite way to deal with cross product stuff :).

Related to Dot product between cross products

What is a dot product between cross products?

A dot product between cross products is a mathematical operation used to find the scalar value of two cross products. It is also known as a triple scalar product.

How is a dot product between cross products calculated?

The dot product between cross products is calculated by taking the dot product of one of the cross products with the other cross product. This can be represented as (a x b) · (c x d), where a and b are vectors in the first cross product and c and d are vectors in the second cross product.

What is the significance of a dot product between cross products?

The dot product between cross products is significant in vector algebra and physics, as it can be used to find the angle between two vectors or the area of a parallelogram formed by the vectors.

Can a dot product between cross products be negative?

Yes, a dot product between cross products can be negative. The sign of the dot product depends on the angle between the two cross products. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the dot product will be negative. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the dot product will be positive.

What are some real-life applications of a dot product between cross products?

The dot product between cross products has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, work, and power in physics. In engineering, it is used to find the moment of inertia and angular momentum. In computer graphics, it is used to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space.