Angle between vector and tangent vector

In summary, the dot product between the logarithmic spiral R(t) and its tangent vector R'(t) is e^2t, and using the dot product formula to find a constant angle between them results in @ = cos^-1(e^2t / sqrt(2*e^(4t)), which is still dependent on t. However, by correctly calculating the magnitude of R'(t) as sqrt(2*e^2t), it is clear that the dot product simplifies to e^t and the resulting angle is independent of t.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

My problem is:

For the logarithmic spiral R(t) = (e^t cost, e^t sint), show that the angle between R(t) and the tangent vector at R(t) is independent of t.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The tangent vector is just the vector that you get when you take the derivative of each element of the vector so:

R(t) = (e^t cost, e^t sint)
R'(t) = (e^t*cost-e^t*sint, e^t*sint + e^t*cost)

First I tried to show that the dot product was zero using the multiply the x's and y's then add method. This would imply that the angle between the vector and tangent vector was always ninety degrees; unfortunately as can be seen from an inspection of the two vectors, the dot product is e^2t.

Then I went the long route and used the dot product formula (a dot b = ||a||*||b||*cos(@)) to try to calculate a single angle @ that held constant between them. This was also a bust.

e^2t = ||R(t)|| * ||R'(t)||* cos(@) = sqrt(e^2t) * sqrt(2*e^2t) * cos(@)
= sqrt(2*e^4t) * cos(@).

It is easy to then see that @ = cos^-1(e^2t / sqrt(2*e^(4t)), which is obviously still dependant on t.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prof. 27 said:

Homework Statement

My problem is:

For the logarithmic spiral R(t) = (e^t cost, e^t sint), show that the angle between R(t) and the tangent vector at R(t) is independent of t.

Homework Equations

N/A

The tangent vector is just the vector that you get when you take the derivative of each element of the vector so:

R'(t) = (e^t*cost-e^t*sint, e^t*sint + e^t*cost))##

First I tried to show that the dot product was zero using the multiply the x's and y's then add method. This would imply that the angle between the vector and tangent vector was always ninety degrees; unfortunately as can be seen from an inspection of the two vectors, the dot product is e^2t.

Then I went the long route and used the dot product formula (a dot b = ||a||*||b||*cos(@)) to try to calculate a single angle @ that held constant between them. This was also a bust.

= sqrt(2*e^4t) * cos(@).

It is easy to then see that @ = cos^-1(e^2t / sqrt(2*e^(4t)), which is obviously still dependant on t.

Any ideas?

What is ##\sqrt{2e^{4t}}##?

Prof. 27 said:

Homework Statement

My problem is:

Homework Equations

N/A

R'(t) = (e^t*cost-e^t*sint, e^t*sint + e^t*cost)

Note that ##\sqrt{e^{2t}} = e^t##. Then recheck your ##\|\vec R'\| = \sqrt{2e^{2t}}##. Get it right and that last line will do it for you.

1. What is the angle between a vector and a tangent vector?

The angle between a vector and a tangent vector is the angle formed between the two vectors at their point of intersection. It is the smallest angle that is formed between the two vectors and is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between a vector and a tangent vector calculated?

The angle between a vector and a tangent vector can be calculated using the dot product formula. This involves multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The resulting value is the cosine of the angle, which can then be used to find the angle in degrees or radians using inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What is the significance of the angle between a vector and a tangent vector?

The angle between a vector and a tangent vector is important in many mathematical and physical applications. It can be used to determine the direction of motion of an object, the rate of change of a function, and the curvature of a curve at a specific point, among other things.

4. Can the angle between a vector and a tangent vector be negative?

Yes, the angle between a vector and a tangent vector can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in an angle greater than 180 degrees. In this case, the angle is usually measured in the clockwise direction and has a negative value.

5. How does the angle between a vector and a tangent vector change as the vectors move?

The angle between a vector and a tangent vector can change as the vectors move. If the direction of the vector changes, the angle between the two vectors will also change. However, if the magnitude of the vector changes while its direction remains the same, the angle between the two vectors will remain constant.