Dot product definition: deriving component form

In summary, the dot product can be derived from the definition of the cosine, which states that the adjacent side divided by the hypotenuse is equal to the dot product of two vectors divided by their magnitudes. This definition also satisfies the distributive property, which allows for the expansion of dot products into individual terms.
ibkev
##
\newcommand{\ihat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{\imath}}}
\newcommand{\jhat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{\jmath}}}
\newcommand{\khat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{k}}}
##
Several times now I've seen the following technique for deriving the component form of the dot product. It always felt clean and simple until last night when I noticed for the first time that I don't understand why it's ok to do the step that I've annotated below. Can someone clarify this please?

Starting from:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} &= u_x \ihat + u_y \jhat + u_z \khat \\
\vec{v} &= v_x \ihat + v_y \jhat + v_z \khat
\end{aligned}
$$
we can write out the dot product as:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=&\begin{pmatrix} u_x \ihat + u_y \jhat + u_z \khat \end{pmatrix} \cdot
\begin{pmatrix} v_x \ihat + v_y \jhat + v_z \khat \end{pmatrix} \\
=& \text{why can we do this next part?} \\
=& \text{it's just straight multiplication of each term in the algebraic expression rather than an overall dot product} \\
=&u_x v_x \ihat \cdot \ihat + u_x v_y \ihat \cdot \jhat + u_x v_z \ihat \cdot \khat +\\
&u_y v_x \jhat \cdot \ihat + u_y v_y \jhat \cdot \jhat + u_y v_z \jhat \cdot \khat +\\
&u_z v_x \khat \cdot \ihat + u_z v_y \khat \cdot \jhat + u_z v_z \khat \cdot \khat
\end{aligned}
$$
Substituting these (which came from ## \cos{\theta} ##):
$$
\begin{aligned}
\ihat \cdot \ihat = \jhat \cdot \jhat = \khat \cdot \khat = 1 \\
\ihat \cdot \jhat = \ihat \cdot \khat = \jhat \cdot \khat = 0
\end{aligned}
$$
we find most of the terms cancel and we are left with:
$$ \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} = u_x v_x + u_y v_y + u_z v_z $$

Edit: as I've typed this out, I've realized that I could insert the following, that adds a tiny bit of extra clarity:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=&u_x \ihat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_x \ihat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_x \ihat \cdot v_z \khat + \\
&u_y \jhat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_y \jhat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_y \jhat \cdot v_z \khat + \\
&u_z \khat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_z \khat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_z \khat \cdot v_z \khat
\end{aligned}
$$

but I'm still not clear on what property of dot products allows me to go from this first line to the second?

As usual, simply explaining the question seems to lead to the answer. My problem goes away if I think of the initial vectors as:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=&\begin{pmatrix} \vec{a} + \vec{b} + \vec{c} \end{pmatrix} \cdot
\begin{pmatrix} \vec{d} +\vec{e} + \vec{f} \end{pmatrix} \\
=&\vec{a} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{f} + \\
&\vec{b} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{b} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{b} \cdot \vec{f} + \\
&\vec{c} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{c} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{c} \cdot \vec{f}
\end{aligned}
$$

So I believe this is the distributive law in action?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ibkev said:
Several times now I've seen the following technique for deriving the component form of the dot product.
Derive from what? Something has to be defined from the start in order to change a representation.

What you call a derivation is simply the bilinear continuation of the "fact" that the inner product defines orthonormality on your coordinate vectors. However, where does this "fact" come from? How can you define orthonormality without already having an inner product?

fresh_42 said:
Derive from what? Something has to be defined from the start in order to change a representation.

What you call a derivation is simply the bilinear continuation of the "fact" that the inner product defines orthonormality on your coordinate vectors. However, where does this "fact" come from? How can you define orthonormality without already having an inner product?

I've been taking the following as a definition for the dot product:
$$ \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} = \lvert a \rvert \lvert b \rvert \cos {\theta} $$
To feel comfortable with where that came from I was thinking of the dot product from the perspective of determining the angle between two vectors. The angle should be independent of whatever lengths the two vectors may have so:
$$ \hat{a} \cdot \hat{b} = \cos{\theta} $$
which seemed geometrically like an intuitive starting point. Then I plugged in the i/j/k unit vectors to show i.i=1, i.j=0, etc.
And substituting ## \hat{a} = \frac{\vec{a}}{\lvert a \rvert} ## I can get back to the original definition:
$$ \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} = \lvert a \rvert \lvert b \rvert \cos {\theta} $$

p.s. I edited my original post at the bottom. Do you agree that its the distributive law that I was using?

Last edited:
Let me sort this out:
You defined the dot product by the definition of the cosine: ##\cos \sphericalangle(\vec{a},\vec{b}) =: \dfrac{\text{ adjacent }}{\text{ hypotenuse }} =: \dfrac{\vec{a}}{|\vec{a}|} \cdot \dfrac{\vec{b}}{|\vec{b}|}##. Now you are asking, why this definition of a product is bilinear: ##\vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}+\vec{c})=\vec{a}\vec{b}+\vec{a}\vec{c}##.

I assume this comes down to the intercept theorem(s), but I do not have the deduction in mind.

fresh_42 said:
Let me sort this out:
You defined the dot product by the definition of the cosine: ##\cos \sphericalangle(\vec{a},\vec{b}) =: \dfrac{\text{ adjacent }}{\text{ hypotenuse }} =: \dfrac{\vec{a}}{|\vec{a}|} \cdot \dfrac{\vec{b}}{|\vec{b}|}##. Now you are asking, why this definition of a product is bilinear: ##\vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}+\vec{c})=\vec{a}\vec{b}+\vec{a}\vec{c}##.

I assume this comes down to the intercept theorem(s), but I do not have the deduction in mind.

Thanks for replying - I've got this all sorted out now :)

Likes berkeman
ibkev said:
##
\newcommand{\ihat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{\imath}}}
\newcommand{\jhat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{\jmath}}}
\newcommand{\khat}{\hat{\boldsymbol{k}}}
##
Several times now I've seen the following technique for deriving the component form of the dot product. It always felt clean and simple until last night when I noticed for the first time that I don't understand why it's ok to do the step that I've annotated below. Can someone clarify this please?

Starting from:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} &= u_x \ihat + u_y \jhat + u_z \khat \\
\vec{v} &= v_x \ihat + v_y \jhat + v_z \khat
\end{aligned}
$$
we can write out the dot product as:
$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=& \text{why can we do this next part?} \\
=& \text{it's just straight multiplication of each term in the algebraic expression rather than an overall dot product} \\
=&u_x v_x \ihat \cdot \ihat + u_x v_y \ihat \cdot \jhat + u_x v_z \ihat \cdot \khat +\\
&u_y v_x \jhat \cdot \ihat + u_y v_y \jhat \cdot \jhat + u_y v_z \jhat \cdot \khat +\\
&u_z v_x \khat \cdot \ihat + u_z v_y \khat \cdot \jhat + u_z v_z \khat \cdot \khat
\end{aligned}
$$
Substituting these (which came from ## \cos{\theta} ##):
$$
\begin{aligned}
\ihat \cdot \ihat = \jhat \cdot \jhat = \khat \cdot \khat = 1 \\
\ihat \cdot \jhat = \ihat \cdot \khat = \jhat \cdot \khat = 0
\end{aligned}
$$
we find most of the terms cancel and we are left with:
$$ \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} = u_x v_x + u_y v_y + u_z v_z $$

Edit: as I've typed this out, I've realized that I could insert the following, that adds a tiny bit of extra clarity:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=&u_x \ihat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_x \ihat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_x \ihat \cdot v_z \khat + \\
&u_y \jhat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_y \jhat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_y \jhat \cdot v_z \khat + \\
&u_z \khat \cdot v_x \ihat + u_z \khat \cdot v_y \jhat + u_z \khat \cdot v_z \khat
\end{aligned}
$$

but I'm still not clear on what property of dot products allows me to go from this first line to the second?

As usual, simply explaining the question seems to lead to the answer. My problem goes away if I think of the initial vectors as:

$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}
=&\begin{pmatrix} \vec{a} + \vec{b} + \vec{c} \end{pmatrix} \cdot
\begin{pmatrix} \vec{d} +\vec{e} + \vec{f} \end{pmatrix} \\
=&\vec{a} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{f} + \\
&\vec{b} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{b} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{b} \cdot \vec{f} + \\
&\vec{c} \cdot \vec{d} + \vec{c} \cdot \vec{e} + \vec{c} \cdot \vec{f}
\end{aligned}
$$

So I believe this is the distributive law in action?

You need to make assumptions about "##\cdot##", such as the following:
1. For a scalar ##c##, ##(c \vec{a}) \cdot \vec{b} = c (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b})##
2. Commutativity: ##\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} = \vec{b} \cdot \vec{a}.##
3. Distributvity: ##\vec{a} \cdot ( \vec{b} + \vec{c}) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} + \vec{a} \cdot \vec{c}.##
4. Special values: ##\vec{u} \cdot \vec{u} = 1## for ##\vec{u} = \vec{i}, \vec{j}, \vec{k}##, and ##\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} =0## for ##\vec{u}, \vec{v} \in \{ \vec{i}, \vec{j}, \vec{k} \}## with ##\vec{u} \neq \vec{v}.##

Unless you make some such assumptions (or else define "##\cdot##" in some other way) there is no way you could derive what you want, as we can easily enough cook up examples where some of 1--4 fail and the resulting product is not anything useful.

Likes ibkev

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar (single value) as output. It is used to measure the similarity or alignment between two vectors.

2. How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then summing the results. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], then the dot product would be calculated as a1 * b1 + a2 * b2 + a3 * b3.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the magnitude of one vector and the projection of the other vector onto the first. This can be visualized as the length of the shadow cast by one vector onto the other.

4. How is the dot product related to the angle between two vectors?

The dot product is related to the angle between two vectors through the formula cosθ = (A · B) / (|A| * |B|), where θ is the angle between the vectors and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the vectors. This means that the dot product is larger when the vectors are more aligned and smaller when they are more perpendicular.

5. What is the component form of the dot product?

The component form of the dot product is a way to represent the dot product using the components of the two vectors. It can be written as A · B = a1 * b1 + a2 * b2 + a3 * b3, where a1, a2, a3 are the components of vector A and b1, b2, b3 are the components of vector B.