1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot Product of a Unit Vector with the Negative of itself

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to calculate the flux for the octant of a sphere, and I am trying to figure out how the mathematics, dot products, and dA works in the integral. I already did the quadrant for [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] where θ= π/2 (the bottom quadrant) and I did the left quadrant where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] = -[itex]\hat{ø}[/itex] but I want to understand, when you are calculating [itex]\int_{S}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{ø}[/itex]dA , for F[itex]_{ø}[/itex], if ø is negative for the left quadrant, I know that the flux will be 0 because ø = 0 and sinø = 0 but in the integral, will the negative cancel out?

2. Relevant equations
    Here is a picture for the octant of the sphere, my question is on the left quadrant: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N2c1FjhWLag/TF_yaJpc6DI/AAAAAAAAACI/4hhPUla483A/s1600/sphel.gif

To solve for the total flux we have the equation:
    [itex]\oint[/itex] [itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S1}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S2}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S3}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S4}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] (r,θ,ø) = (r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosθ)[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+(r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosø)[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]-(r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosθsinø)[itex]\hat{ø}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already know that the flux is equal to zero as I said, I just wanted to be sure that the dot product of two unit vectors in this case is -1 or if there's more calculation needed for this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not check by explicitly taking a unit vector ##\hat u = (1,0)## and formally constructing the dot product of that with the negative of itself?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted