Dot Product of a Unit Vector with the Negative of itself

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
EarthDecon
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to calculate the flux for the octant of a sphere, and I am trying to figure out how the mathematics, dot products, and dA works in the integral. I already did the quadrant for [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] where θ= π/2 (the bottom quadrant) and I did the left quadrant where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] = -[itex]\hat{ø}[/itex] but I want to understand, when you are calculating [itex]\int_{S}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{ø}[/itex]dA , for F[itex]_{ø}[/itex], if ø is negative for the left quadrant, I know that the flux will be 0 because ø = 0 and sinø = 0 but in the integral, will the negative cancel out?

Homework Equations


Here is a picture for the octant of the sphere, my question is on the left quadrant: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N2c1FjhWLag/TF_yaJpc6DI/AAAAAAAAACI/4hhPUla483A/s1600/sphel.gif

To solve for the total flux we have the equation:
[itex]\oint[/itex] [itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S1}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S2}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S3}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{S4}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{n}[/itex]dA

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] (r,θ,ø) = (r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosθ)[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+(r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosø)[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]-(r[itex]^{2}[/itex]cosθsinø)[itex]\hat{ø}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I already know that the flux is equal to zero as I said, I just wanted to be sure that the dot product of two unit vectors in this case is -1 or if there's more calculation needed for this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not check by explicitly taking a unit vector ##\hat u = (1,0)## and formally constructing the dot product of that with the negative of itself?