Dot product of vector and symmetric linear map?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of orthonormal bases and symmetric, linear maps to determine the coordinates of \Gamma(u) and \Gamma(v). The confusion arises from the use of transpose-product in the coordinate representation of dot product, but this is resolved by considering the standard dot product in R^n.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

My book states as follows:

---

If u and v have the coordinate vectors [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] respectively in a given orthonormal basis, and the symmetric, linear map [tex]\Gamma[/tex] has the matrix [tex]A[/tex] in the same basis, then [tex]\Gamma(u)[/tex] and [tex]\Gamma(v)[/tex] have the coordinates [tex]AX[/tex] and [tex]AY[/tex], respectively. This gives:

[tex]\Gamma(u) \cdot v = (AX)^t Y = (X^t A^t) Y = X^t A^t Y = X^t AY = X^t (AY) = u \cdot \Gamma(v)[/tex]

---

I'm a bit confused about the [tex]\Gamma(u) \cdot v = (AX)^t Y[/tex] part. Why isn't [tex]\Gamma(u) \cdot v = (AX) Y[/tex], thus rendering the operation undefined (assuming that X and Y are row vectors with at least two rows)? After all, as far as I could figure, a symmetric, linear map would only yield that [tex]A = A^t[/tex], not that [tex]AX = (AX)^t[/tex].

[tex]X^t (AY) = u \cdot \Gamma(v)[/tex] bestows similar confusion upon me as well. It seems to me as if the vectors are just casually transposed for the dot product to "work out", although that probably isn't it.

I'm probably missing something very trivial. I've looked around for alternative proofs to no avail.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Combinatus said:
[tex]X^t (AY) = u \cdot \Gamma(v)[/tex] bestows similar confusion upon me as well. It seems to me as if the vectors are just casually transposed for the dot product to "work out", although that probably isn't it.

No, in fact, that's exactly it. If, in your notation, [tex]w_1, w_2[/tex] are represented in coordinates by the column vectors [tex]Z_1, Z_2[/tex], then [tex]w_1 \cdot w_2[/tex] is represented in coordinates by [tex]Z_1^t Z_2[/tex] -- that is, the transpose-product is exactly the coordinate representation of dot product (in an orthonormal basis, anyway).

Ah, you're right. I thought in terms of matrix multiplication of two n x 1 matrices rather than a standard dot product in [tex]R^n[/tex] for some reason. Thank you!

1. What is the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map?

The dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map is a scalar value that represents the projection of the vector onto the direction of the linear map. It is calculated by multiplying the vector with the symmetric matrix representation of the linear map.

2. How is the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map used in mathematics?

The dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map has various applications in mathematics, such as finding the angle between two vectors, calculating the magnitude of a vector, and determining the orthogonality of two vectors.

3. Can the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map be negative?

Yes, the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map can be negative. This happens when the angle between the vector and the direction of the linear map is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative projection value.

4. How is the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map different from the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map is different from the dot product of two vectors in that the former involves projecting the vector onto the direction of the linear map, while the latter involves multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and summing the results.

5. Is the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map always commutative?

Yes, the dot product of a vector and a symmetric linear map is always commutative, meaning that it does not matter in which order the vector and the linear map are multiplied, the result will always be the same.