1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double checking organic chem mechanisms

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I need to make sure I understand some of the reactions correctly... For example:

CH2OHCH3 in H+ will give us CH2=CH2. I would think that here the H+ bonded with the OH resulting in H2O (a leaving group), but I am not sure what happens to the other leaving H.

In RC≡CR' in Na/NH3, we get RCH=CHR' in an anti addition. Where did the 2 H come from? The NH3?

RCH=CH2 in H3O+ gives RCHOHCH3. Did the OH and H come from the H3O+? Do we then have one last H that does not bond with the molecule? And did the OH add to the C bonded with the R because it is the most substituted carbon?

In RCH=CH2 in (1) Hg(OAc)2/H2O and (2) NaBH4, NaOH, we get RCHOHCH3. Where did the OH and H come from? Did the OH add to the C bonded with the R because it is the most substituted carbon?

In RCH=CH2 in (1) BH3/THF and (2) H2O2/OH- we get RCH2CH2OH. Did the OH add to the C because it was the least substituted? Also, is the mechanism the following: first, Br (from BH3) bonds with the least subst. carbon, and H also from BH3 adds to the other C, thus breaking the double bond. Then in step (2) Br is replaced by OH, from OH-.

And finally:
    a) ROH + SOCl2 -> RCl
    and
    b) ROH + TsCl ---(base)--> ROTs

These 2 reactions confuse me. I thought that in a) the H would bond with a Cl giving HCl + RSOCl. Why does it give RCl?
    However in b) what I thought would happen in a) does take place. H and Cl bond, resulting in ROTs. Why?

Thank you so much for your help, I hope I was clear enough!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The acid is H+A-. The other H atom (through a carbocation mechanism) goes away with the conjugate base, A-

4. Aug 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks!

5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, one H-atom from each NH3.

Yes, yes and yes. Look up the mechanism for electrophilic addition to alkenes through carbocation formation on the most substituted carbon.

6. Aug 23, 2007 #5
    Thank you so much, you're so helpful!
    We rarely get the mechanisms in class, as we are told we have to do a lot of memorization. But I found that understanding the mechanism allows me to remember the reactions for the rest of the semester, instead of relying on memorization.

7. Aug 24, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will find these mechanisms in any standard O Chem text. In Morrisson & Boyd (6th Ed.), this is in Ch 9: Reactions of Alkenes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?