Can double convolutions be simplified using a change of variable?

• Thread starter muzialis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convolution
In summary, Stephen is asking if there is a way to write down the double convolution in a more compact form, and suggests using double integrals with the same limits of integration.
muzialis
Let us write a convolution
$$\int_{0}^{t} A(t-\tau) \mathrm{d}x(\tau)$$ as
$$A \star \mathrm{d}x$$
I would like to write down the expression for the double convolution
$$A \star \mathrm{d}x \star \mathrm{d}x $$
Following the definition I obtain
$$ \int_{0}^{t} \int_{0} ^{t-\tau} A(t-\tau-s) \mathrm{d}x(s) \mathrm{d}x(\tau)$$
Can this be given a more compact form, especially in reference to the upper limit of integration in the inner integral?
I would like to perform the change of variable $$t-\tau = w$$ but unsure as to how to proceed, any hint would be the most appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain what you mean by:

muzialis said:
$$A \star \mathrm{d}x$$

Perhaps you are using some notation known in engineering. However, in the usual mathematical terminology, one convolves two functions and if that's what your talking about, the notation doesn't make it clear if you are using are two functions.

For example if [itex] A() [/itex] is the function defined by [itex] A(r) = 3r^2 + r + 1 [/itex] then what does [itex] A * dx [/itex] mean? In particular what would [itex] dx(\tau) [/itex] be?

Stephen,

many thanks for your input.
I am not using an engineering notation, whatever yo mean by that, I am simply writing the convolution down as a Stijeltes convolution (using Stjeltes instead of Riemann integration), as the notation is more compact.
Under certain technical conditions which can definitely be assumed in the present case, one can write
$$\int_0^{t} A(t-\tau) \frac{\mathrm{d}g}{\mathrm{d}\tau}\mathrm{d}\tau$$
as
$$\int_0^{t} A(t-\tau) \mathrm{d}g(\tau)$$
(formally looking as a change of variable procedure)
Many thanks again, I hope this clarifies and you will help me further.

muzialis said:
I am simply writing the convolution down

Your notation needs some words to put it in context.

Which section of the wikipedia article on convolution http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution refers to the type of convolution in your notation?

Well, there is no mention in Wikipedia of Stjeltes convolutions (although they are very strongly related to the measure theory approach described in the Section "Measure"), would it help if I edited my question using Riemann integrals notation?

Does you question amount to "How do we do a change of variable in a Stieltjes integral?" I'm not an expert on that topic, but perhaps we can find expositions about how to do it.

Stephen, you are right in pointing out that such notation is confusing. Let me then rephrase my question clearly:
Let us denote a convolution
$$\int_0^{t} A(t-\tau) x(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau$$
With the notation
$$A \star x$$
$$A\star x \star x$$
Following the definition I could write
$$\int_{0}^{t} \int_0^{t-\tau} A(t-\tau-s) x(s)x(\tau)\mathrm{d}s \mathrm{d}\tau$$

Or, exploiting the associativity property
$$\int_0^{t} A(t-\tau) \int_{0}^{\tau} x(\tau-s)x(s)\mathrm{d}s \mathrm{d}\tau$$

But I would like to write the double convolution using double integrals with the same limits of integration, how can I achieve that (especially in the first of the two expression I wrote down)?
Many thanks

muzialis said:
$$A \star \mathrm{d}x$$
$$A \star \mathrm{d}x \star \mathrm{d}x $$
Following the definition I obtain
$$ \int_{0}^{t} \int_{0} ^{t-\tau} A(t-\tau-s) \mathrm{d}x(s) \mathrm{d}x(\tau)$$
Can this be given a more compact form, especially in reference to the upper limit of integration in the inner integral?
I would like to perform the change of variable $$t-\tau = w$$ but unsure as to how to proceed, any hint would be the most appreciated, thanks

If A(t) and x(t) have properties similar to probability CDFs, you could write the convolution integrals in symmetric form using indicator functions, eg $$\int\int I(t_1+t_2\le t)dA(t_1)dx(t_2)$$ - the three-way version should be fairly straight forward.

1. What is double convolution?

Double convolution is a mathematical operation that involves applying convolution twice in a sequence. It is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to enhance and filter data.

2. How is double convolution different from regular convolution?

The main difference between double convolution and regular convolution is that in double convolution, the output of the first convolution is used as the input for the second convolution. This allows for a more complex and detailed analysis of the data.

3. What are the benefits of using double convolution?

Double convolution can help to improve the accuracy and resolution of the data by applying multiple filters in a sequence. It can also help to reduce noise and enhance specific features of the data.

4. What are some common applications of double convolution?

Double convolution is commonly used in image processing for tasks such as edge detection, image enhancement, and image segmentation. It is also used in audio signal processing for tasks such as noise reduction and speech recognition.

5. What are the limitations of double convolution?

One limitation of double convolution is that it can be computationally expensive, especially when dealing with large datasets. Another limitation is that it may not always produce the desired results if the filters used are not chosen carefully.