Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral to single by magic substitution

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    double integral to single by "magic" substitution

Hi,

I have a double (actually quadruple, but the other dimensions don't matter here) integral which looks like this:

[tex] \iint_0^\infty \frac{d^2 k}{k^2} [/tex]

Now, someone here told me to replace that with

[tex] \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{2} 2\pi \frac{d k^2}{k^2} [/tex]

How and why is this ok? Thanks!

PS: For anyone wondering where this comes up: it's related to Elementary Particle physics and structure function calculation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    Re: double integral to single by "magic" substitution

If your first integral is meant to be:

[tex] I= \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_0^\infty \frac{\mathrm{d}k_1\, \mathrm{d} k_2}{k_1^2 + k_2^2} [/tex]

then you *could* use polar coordinates to give:

[tex] I = \int_0^\pi \int_0^\infty \frac{ r\mathrm{d} r\, \mathrm{d} \theta}{r^2} = \pi \int_0^\infty \frac{ \mathrm{d} r}{r} [/tex]

which seems to be the same as what you have written. However, the integral doesn't make a lot of sense - it fails to converge (logarithmic singularity). Although perhaps if this is from particle physics, you don't mind this divergence.

4. Jul 10, 2010 #3
    Re: double integral to single by "magic" substitution

Thanks, that looks good. The integrand isn't complete here (waaaay too big to put here).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook