Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integration change of variables

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    Hi
    I just cannot understand the following transformation, where [tex]\phi(t)[/tex] is the displacement of an optimal path using standard calculus of variations. All functions are defined between 0 and T. [tex]\phi[/tex] equals zero at 0 and T. r is some discount rate, e it the Euler number, t is time.

[tex]\int^{T}_{0}\theta(y(t))e^{-rt}\int^{t}_{0}\phi(\tau)d\tau]dt[/tex]

This should be equal to

[tex]\int^{T}_{0}\int^{T}_{t}\theta(y(\tau))e^{-r\tau}d\tau]\phi(t)]dt[/tex]

If anybody knows the answer, I would be very happy to get some help here.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you're being blinded by the detail.

Look carefully and you'll see that the only difference in the two integrands is that t and [tex]\tau[/tex] have been swapped over.

Now, you can always change the names of the variables. For example, ∫f(x)dx = ∫f(y)dy, or ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy = ∫∫f(z,w)dzdw.

In your example, x = w and y = z: ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy = ∫∫f(y,x)dydx.

The only place you have to be careful is in choosing the range of integration.

It is the triangular area 0 < [tex]\tau[/tex] < t; 0 < t < T.

In other words, all pairs of t and [tex]\tau[/tex] with [tex]\tau[/tex] < t < T.

Swapping t and [tex]\tau[/tex] gives: all pairs of t and [tex]\tau[/tex] with t < [tex]\tau[/tex] < T, or:
    :smile: t < [tex]\tau[/tex] < T; 0 < t < T. :smile:

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much!!! Your answer makes perfect sense!

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

You're very welcome!
    Which reminds me, I forgot to say …

:smile: Welcome to PF! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?