Integration by parts, where am I going wrong?

In summary, the integral \int_{1}^{2} x^2 e^{x} dx can be solved using integration by parts, resulting in the expression \left[x^2 e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \left(\left[2x e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \left[2e^x\right]_{1}^{2}\right). The final simplification should result in the answer 2e^2 - e. The mistake was made in the last step of simplification, where there was an error in signs.
Kaldanis

Homework Statement

[itex] \int_{1}^{2} x^2 e^{x} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

Integrating by parts. Writing out chain rule, integrating both sides and rearranging gives ∫f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \int_{1}^{2} x^2 e^{x} dx = \left[x^2 e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \int_{1}^{2} 2x e^{x} dx[/itex]

Applying again gives:

[itex] \int_{1}^{2} x^2 e^{x} dx = \left[x^2 e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \left(\left[2x e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \int_{1}^{2} 2 e^{x} dx\right)[/itex]

Integrating last term gives:

[itex] \int_{1}^{2} x^2 e^{x} dx = \left[x^2 e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \left(\left[2x e^x\right]_{1}^{2} - \left[2e^x\right]_{1}^{2}\right)[/itex]

When I simplify this I get -2e2 + 3e, however I know the answer should be 2e2-e.

Can someone please point out where my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the calculus part right. You just didn't simplify it correctly, but we can't tell you where since you didn't show us that part of your work.

vela said:
You got the calculus part right. You just didn't simplify it correctly, but we can't tell you where since you didn't show us that part of your work.

Ah yeah, I was getting frustrated with trying to write it out in latex! But thanks for letting me know I've at least got all that part right, I'll try again a few more times and then write it out here if I can't get it

you didnt show you last step so I think you made a sign error there.

(4ee - e) - ( 4ee - 2e - (2ee - 2e) ) ==> 4ee - e - 4ee + 2e + 2ee - 2e ==> 2ee - e

Thank you :D I got it. I screwed up a + and - my first 50 times of trying to solve this.

(22e2-12e) - ( (2*2e2 - 2e) - (2e2 - 2e) )
= (4e2 - e) - ( (4e2 - 2e) - (2e2 - 2e) )
= (4e2 - e) - ( 4e2 - 2e -2e2 + 2e )
= 4e2 - e - 4e2 + 2e + 2e2 - 2e
= 2e2 - e

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals that are products of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and allows for the integration of more complex functions.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

You can use integration by parts when you have an integral that is a product of two functions. It is also helpful when you have an integral that involves a polynomial and an exponential function.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u(x)v'(x)dx = u(x)v(x) - ∫v(x)u'(x)dx, where u(x) and v(x) are two functions and u'(x) and v'(x) are their derivatives.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration by parts?

Some common mistakes in integration by parts include choosing the wrong functions for u(x) and v'(x), not using the correct formula, and forgetting to apply the chain rule when finding the derivative of a composite function.

5. How can I check if I have correctly solved an integral using integration by parts?

You can check your solution by differentiating the answer and seeing if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online calculators or software to verify your answer.