1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of revolution where am i going wrong?

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    Hey guys I'm stuck on this problem. Its an easy one but I need some help..

It's asking for the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x^2, y=4, x=0 about the line x= -2 using the shell method.

I got the answer correct using the disk method (answer is 136 pi/3)..

With shell method I get integral 2pi (2+x) (4-x^2) dx from x=0 to x=2 which is 88pi/3. Can someone please help me out of this mess?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to supply your work details.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3
    What do you mean? My question is what part of the integral that I set up is wrong and why? Not the evaluating of the integral which i'm using a calculator for anyway.

5. Jul 7, 2013 #4
    Using slices, I get integral pi * (2+sqrty)^2 dy from y=0 to 4. which gives 136 pi/3?

6. Jul 7, 2013 #5
    There should be a hole in the center due to the gap from x=-2 to x=0. I'll leave the rest up to you

7. Jul 7, 2013 #6
    Right, but the shell method takes that into account doesn't it? My integral only foes from 0 to 2..

8. Jul 7, 2013 #7
    Yes the shell method does, so I think you got the correct answer there. Think about the disk method and what your volume would look like. (Yours is missing the hole)

9. Jul 7, 2013 #8
  10. Jul 7, 2013 #9
    Yeah, it looks like it... Unless I'm wrong, which is entirely possible :P

11. Jul 7, 2013 #10
    Actually, I don't think he ever specifies x=0 as a bound. So assuming x=-2 is the bound instead, it would be correct.

12. Jul 7, 2013 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Mathematics > Calculus to
    Homework & Coursework Questions > Calculus & Beyond Homework

The usual homework forum guidelines are in effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted